Find Largest Angle of Slope for Car w/ Front, Rear & 4WD

• Thread starter balogun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses a friction question about finding the largest angle of slope a car can drive up at constant speed, given its drive type (front wheel, rear wheel, or four wheel). The equation used is tan(theta) = F/N = coefficient of friction and the answer for the four wheel drive case is 6.84. The question also includes a new question about a cable wrapped around an ideal pulley and the importance of considering tension on both sides of the pulley.
balogun

Homework Statement

I have a friction question wanting me to find the largest angle of slope a car can drive up at constant speed
if it has
a front wheel drive
b rear wheel drive
c four wheel drive

The real question is in the microsoft word file attached.

2. Homework Equations [/b
tan(teta)=F/N=co-efficient of friction

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to do the four wheel drive question

tan(teta)=0.40
teta=6.84.
Could not do the rear wheel and front wheel questions.

Help is appreciated.

Attachments

• friction.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 159
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry wrong file

Sorry i posted the wrong file the right one is here.

Attachments

• friction question..doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 145
Another question

I have got another question.I have tried to do it but no matter what free body diagram I do can't seem to get anwser.

Question attached to file.

Attachments

• static friction.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 164
balogun said:
Sorry i posted the wrong file the right one is here.
You meant to say tan theta =.12, not .40 for the 4 wheel drive case, didn't you? The answer is correct, although you did not show your work, so I assume you just used
u =tan theta for simple objects in uniform motion? That works here for the 4WD case due to symmetry, but in general, you must sum torques to solve for the normal force at each axle, and note that the traction provided by friction acts on the drive wheels only. Would you expect the angle to be less or more or the same, for the 2WD cases? Try summing torques about the contact point of one of the tires to determine the normal force on the other tire.

erm..im no professional in this topic but maybe you can give us some of you attempt to the questions first?

balogun said:
I have got another question.I have tried to do it but no matter what free body diagram I do can't seem to get anwser.

Question attached to file.
Show or describe what you have for a FBD. Have you considered also that the tension in a cable wrapped around an ideal pulley is the same on both sides of the pulley?

1. What is the purpose of finding the largest angle of slope for a car with front, rear, and 4WD?

The purpose of finding the largest angle of slope for a car is to determine the maximum incline that the car can safely navigate without losing control or causing damage to the vehicle. This information is important for car manufacturers to design and test the capabilities of their vehicles, as well as for drivers to understand the limitations of their car.

2. How is the largest angle of slope calculated for a car with front, rear, and 4WD?

The largest angle of slope is typically calculated using a combination of the car's weight and the maximum torque and power output of its engine. This information is then used to determine the maximum force the car can exert on the ground to maintain traction and stability on an incline.

3. What factors can affect the largest angle of slope for a car with front, rear, and 4WD?

Some of the factors that can affect the largest angle of slope for a car include the weight and distribution of the car's load, the type and condition of the tires, the terrain and surface conditions, and the power and torque capabilities of the car's engine.

4. Are there any safety concerns when driving on a steep incline with a car with front, rear, and 4WD?

Yes, there are several safety concerns when driving on a steep incline with any car, including those with front, rear, and 4WD. These include the risk of losing control and rolling over, as well as potential damage to the car's transmission, engine, and other components due to the increased strain and stress on these parts.

5. Why is it important to know the largest angle of slope for a car with front, rear, and 4WD?

Knowing the largest angle of slope for a car is important for both car manufacturers and drivers. For manufacturers, it helps them design and test their cars to ensure they are safe and capable of navigating different types of terrain. For drivers, it can help them make informed decisions when driving on steep inclines and avoid potential accidents or damage to their vehicle.