Calculating Frictional Force on Tires in SUV and Trailer System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frictional force exerted by the road on the tires of an SUV pulling a trailer with a boat. Using conservation of energy, the frictional force can be calculated by dividing the kinetic energy by the distance traveled, or by using Newton's second law and finding the net force on the SUV.
kraigandrews
[

Homework Statement

An SUV pulls a trailer carrying a boat. The mass of the SUV is 2460 kg and the mass of the boat and trailer is 490 kg. The SUV starts from rest (velocity = 0) and accelerates for 10 seconds to final velocity 12 m/s; i.e., a = 1.2 m/s2.

What is the frictional force exerted by the road on the tires of the SUV?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

so I used
.5mv^2=[itex]\mu[/itex]mgd

d=.5at^2
d=60m

thus [itex]\mu[/itex]=0.1223

so then Ff on the road by the tires =M_suv*0.1223=300.92 N, but this is not correct, where am I going wrong this seems so simple

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you equating the kinetic energy and energy dissipated by friction? No kinetic energy is being dissipated by friction here. Use Newton's second law.

ok yeah I thought that was wrong, so then the net force on the SUV is 2950N, but I am confused as to where to go from here.

Is this all the information you have? You can express the force on the SUV in terms of the frictional force and a forward force.

This is all the info I have yes. So could you nudge me in the right direction at least, because at the surface this seems simple so I think I'm over looking something.

When the SUV obtains it's final velocity, all forces on it must be balanced. So you need to find the forces on the SUV.

so the forces needed here are just the forward force and frictional, so F=ma however how do you find the Forces with the info given, I would only think the net force can be found

True, you need the forward force. I might be missing something here...let me think.

Do you have to find the frictional force or the coefficient of friction?

EDIT: It seems your original method is correct. From conservation of energy-

0=(Kinetic Energy)+(Work due to friction)

I think you forgot a g when calculating the frictional force. Instead of taking that long route you could just have divided the kinetic energy by the distance. F=ma isn't really applicable since you lack knowledge of all forces.

Last edited:

What is frictional force by tires?

The frictional force by tires is the force that is created when a tire comes into contact with a surface. This force is responsible for the grip and traction of a tire on the road, which allows a vehicle to move and maneuver.

How does the frictional force by tires affect a vehicle's performance?

The frictional force by tires plays a crucial role in a vehicle's performance. It determines the acceleration, braking, and cornering abilities of a vehicle. The higher the frictional force, the better the grip and traction, resulting in improved performance.

What factors affect the amount of frictional force by tires?

The amount of frictional force by tires is affected by several factors, including the type of tire, the condition of the road, the weight of the vehicle, and the speed at which the vehicle is traveling. These factors can either increase or decrease the frictional force.

How can the frictional force by tires be reduced?

To reduce the frictional force by tires, you can use tires with a lower tread depth, decrease the weight of the vehicle, or drive at a lower speed. In some cases, adding substances like water or sand to the road can also reduce the frictional force.

Can the frictional force by tires be too high?

Yes, the frictional force by tires can be too high. This can cause the tires to overheat, resulting in reduced performance and increased wear and tear. It can also lead to reduced fuel efficiency and can be dangerous on wet or icy roads.