What is the Frictional Force Acting on a Toy Being Dragged by a Child?

In summary, a toy is being dragged along a rough floor by a child. When a force of 0.50N is applied horizontally, the toy moves at a constant velocity of 1.0 m/s. The force of friction on the toy can be found by knowing that the acceleration is 0. When the child pulls harder with an applied force of 1.00N, the toy's velocity increases uniformly to 2.0 m/s in 5.0 seconds. The acceleration of the toy can be calculated using the equation Vf = Vi + at. The mass of the toy cannot be found using the given information.
inzektor95

Homework Statement

a toy is dragged along a rough floor by a child

(a) when the child applies a force of 0.50N horizontally the velocity is contant at 1.0 m/s. What is the force of friction on the toy?

(b)when the child pulls harder so that the applied force is 1.00N the velocity of the toy increases uniformly to 2.0 m/s in 5.0 seconds. Calculate the acceleration of the block.

(c) find the mass of the toy

Homework Equations

(a) Do I have to use the frictional force equation to find the answer? (Ffric = μ* F norm)

(b) should I use the net force equation? Fnet=M*A

The Attempt at a Solution

(A)I was considering using the frictional force equation to solve the problem but I don´t have all the variables

(B) Velocity v Time graph perhaps?

thanks for the help (I´m a noob in physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi inzektor95! welcome to pf! :smile:
inzektor95 said:
a toy is dragged along a rough floor by a child

(a) when the child applies a force of 0.50N horizontally the velocity is contant at 1.0 m/s. What is the force of friction on the toy?

(b)when the child pulls harder so that the applied force is 1.00N the velocity of the toy increases uniformly to 2.0 m/s in 5.0 seconds. Calculate the acceleration of the block.

(c) find the mass of the toy

(a) Do I have to use the frictional force equation to find the answer? (Ffric = μ* F norm)

nope!

you can find the friction force either from the cause or from the result

from the cause, you would need to know the mass and the coefficient of friction … you don't, so that's out!

from the result, you know the acceleration is zero, so you should be able to find the force of friction from the information given :wink:

for part (b), again you could find the acceleration either from the cause or from the result …

ues the result … you know the initial velocity the final velocity and the time, so use one of the standard constant acceleration equations :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply :)

For A

how can i find the force of friction using the information given? do i have to use a specific equation?

acceleration = 0
velocity = 1.0 m/s
force = 0.50N

For part B

Vi (initial)= 1.0 m/s
Vf (final)= 2.0 m/s
T = 5.0 s
A = ?

so in other words, I should use this equation?
Vf = Vi + at

thank you very much tiny-tim! :D

hi inzektor95! :smile:
inzektor95 said:
For A

how can i find the force of friction using the information given? do i have to use a specific equation?

acceleration = 0
velocity = 1.0 m/s
force = 0.50N

if the acceleration is 0, what is the net force? :wink:
For part B

Vi (initial)= 1.0 m/s
Vf (final)= 2.0 m/s
T = 5.0 s
A = ?

so in other words, I should use this equation?
Vf = Vi + at

yup! :biggrin:

thank you very much tiny tim:smile:

Related to What is the Frictional Force Acting on a Toy Being Dragged by a Child?

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a type of force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces, which create resistance when the surfaces slide or move against each other.

2. How is frictional force calculated?

The magnitude of frictional force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or materials between the surfaces.

4. How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force opposes motion, so it can slow down or stop the motion of objects. It also causes energy to be converted into heat, which can result in a decrease in overall energy of the system.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants or materials with low coefficients of friction, smoothing out surfaces, and reducing the force pressing the surfaces together. Additionally, using wheels or ball bearings can minimize the contact between surfaces and reduce frictional force.