When can the gravitational potential energy be zero?

In summary: So if PE = 0 at the bottom of the run, what is KE?In summary, the roller coaster has zero potential energy at the bottom of the run, which is at x = 100. At this point, the kinetic energy is equal to the total energy. The kinetic energy is a minimum at x = 200, where the potential energy is a maximum. The kinetic energy is a maximum at x = 0 and x = 200, while the potential energy is a minimum at these points. Therefore, the total energy is conserved throughout the roller coaster's trip, with the potential energy and kinetic energy being equal at certain points.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

Consider a simple frictionless roller coaster. It begins from rest at x = 0 at a height of y = H. Then it drops into a dip, reaching a minimum at x = 100, with zero height (y = 0). Finally, it goes back up and reaches the crest of a small hill of height y = H/2 at x = 200. What can you say about the kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy of the roller coaster during its trip? Assume that the zero level of potential energy is taken to be y = 0.

x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the gravitational PE equals the kinetic energy
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the kinetic energy equals the TOTAL energy
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the gravitational PE is a maximum
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the kinetic energy is a minimum
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the kinetic energy is a maximum
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the gravitational PE is a minimum

My answers are in bold, unfortunately the program doesn't tell me which ones i got wrong, only that i got the problem wrong, i feel I am close to the answer but don't know which one is wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BMWPower06 said:
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the gravitational PE equals the kinetic energy
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the kinetic energy equals the TOTAL energy
These two answers contradict each other. Rethink it.
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the gravitational PE is a maximum
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the kinetic energy is a minimum
OK
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the kinetic energy is a maximum
x = 0 x = 100 x = 200 this is where the gravitational PE is a minimum
OK

Doc Al said:
These two answers contradict each other. Rethink it.

so the first one must be X=100 because PE and KE=0 at this point. I am still not sure what the second one is, i thought it was X=200, because its in motion but it says that's wrong.

Energy is always conserved, so if there PE=0 at the bottom of the run, what is the KE?

Have another a look at your 5th and 6th answers for a clue.

BMWPower06 said:
so the first one must be X=100 because PE and KE=0 at this point.
How can they both be zero? That would mean the total energy is zero.
I am still not sure what the second one is, i thought it was X=200, because its in motion but it says that's wrong.
If KE = total energy, what must the PE be?

Doc Al said:
If KE = total energy, what must the PE be?

Zero, but I am still unsure as to where PE would be zero, i thought it was at 100 but that doesn't seem to work...

BMWPower06 said:
Zero, but I am still unsure as to where PE would be zero, i thought it was at 100 but that doesn't seem to work...
Says who? PE is zero where y = 0.

Doc Al said:
Says who? PE is zero where y = 0.

so then would PE=KE=Total Energy? but i still don't see where PE would = KE,
Wait so at rest PE=KE=0=total energy at X=0 right? and gravitational PE= KE at X=100?

BMWPower06 said:
so then would PE=KE=Total Energy? but i still don't see where PE would = KE
Not sure what you are saying here. PE + KE = Total Energy... always. So if PE = KE, then PE cannot also equal Total Energy (unless that's zero--not the case here).

If PE = KE, what must PE (and KE) be in terms of Total Energy?

So PE and KE would be the same in terms of total energy?

BMWPower06 said:
So PE and KE would be the same in terms of total energy?
Analogy: If you and your brother have the same amount of money, how much do each of you have compared to the total?

Doc Al said:
Analogy: If you and your brother have the same amount of money, how much do each of you have compared to the total?

oh okay, half. But, i still don't understand when KE would = total energy since PE cannot be zero.

BMWPower06 said:
But, i still don't understand when KE would = total energy since PE cannot be zero.
Why in the world do you think that PE cannot be zero? The problem even states:
Assume that the zero level of potential energy is taken to be y = 0.

1. What is a frictionless roller coaster?

A frictionless roller coaster is a theoretical concept in which a roller coaster track has no resistance or friction. This means that the coaster can move along the track without any loss of energy due to friction, resulting in a smooth and efficient ride.

2. How does a frictionless roller coaster work?

A frictionless roller coaster works by utilizing magnetic or air levitation technology to eliminate friction between the coaster and the track. This allows the coaster to move along the track with minimal resistance, resulting in a smoother and faster ride.

3. Is it possible to create a frictionless roller coaster in real life?

While a completely frictionless roller coaster is not currently possible in real life, some amusement parks have implemented technologies such as magnetic or air levitation to reduce friction and create a smoother ride experience.

4. What are the benefits of a frictionless roller coaster?

The main benefit of a frictionless roller coaster is a smooth and efficient ride experience. This can also lead to faster speeds and more thrilling drops and turns, as the coaster is not slowed down by friction. Additionally, a frictionless roller coaster can reduce wear and tear on the track and trains, resulting in lower maintenance costs.

5. Are there any downsides to a frictionless roller coaster?

One potential downside to a frictionless roller coaster is the increased cost and complexity of implementing the technology needed to reduce friction. Additionally, some riders may prefer the added thrill and sense of speed that friction can provide in a traditional roller coaster experience.