Frictionless shove - kinetic energy and momentum

In summary: The correct answer is "In summary, according to the conservation of momentum principle, Edward will be moving faster than Jacob after the push due to his smaller mass and therefore greater acceleration."
PacFan01

Homework Statement

Edward and Jacob, standing face-to-face on a horizontal sheet of frictionless ice, push off each other, causing each to slide backward. Jacob is more massive than Edward. After the push, which of the two is moving faster?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum: Pi = Pf
Kinetic energy: K = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Intuitively, the answer to this problem is obvious (Edward is moving faster after the push). I also know that Edward's smaller mass means his acceleration must be greater so that F12 = -F21. However, this problem was assigned before our Force unit, so I would like an explanation of this phenomena in terms of momentum.

I don't know if this can be explained with conservation of momentum, because Vi = 0, so it is difficult compare their velocities in terms of momentum in a meaningful way. Also, we know that the momentum of the system is conserved, but that does not show, algebraically, that Edward is moving faster than Jacob after the push.

I am wondering if this problem can be solved using a kinetic energy equation, K = 1/2mv2. This expression can show that, if the kinetic energies are equal, SpeedEf > SpeedJi. However, I do not know how to show that KE = KJ.

Any help with an algebraic proof that Edward will be moving faster than Jacob after the push would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are over-thinking things. This is a conservation of momentum problem.

What is frictionless shove?

Frictionless shove is a theoretical concept in which an object experiences a force without any resistance from friction. This means that the object will continue moving with a constant velocity until another force acts upon it.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as one-half of the object's mass multiplied by the square of its velocity.

How does frictionless shove affect kinetic energy?

In a frictionless shove, the lack of friction means that there is no external force acting on the object to slow it down. This results in the object maintaining a constant velocity, and therefore, its kinetic energy remains constant.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. It is calculated as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

How does frictionless shove affect momentum?

Frictionless shove does not have an impact on an object's momentum. This is because momentum is a product of mass and velocity, and in a frictionless scenario, neither of these factors change. Therefore, the object's momentum remains constant.