Exploring Ampere's Law and Magnetic Fields at the Poles

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ampere's law to determine the magnetic field outside of a line of bar magnets. The conversation also includes a clarification on the position of the magnets and the meaning of "completely outside the magnetic field." The conversation also mentions the hint given in the textbook and the possible use of the "fringe effect" in calculating the magnetic field.
cscott
A north pole and south pole are separated by some distance (positioned vertically).

Using the discrete version of Ampere's law:

Take a path rectangle with one vertical side completely inside the magnetic field and the other vertical side completely outside the magnetic field.

Where h = height:
[tex]Bh = -\left[(B_{||}\Delta l)_{top} + (B_{||}\Delta l)_{bottom}\right][/tex]

So there is a magnetic field outside the line of the magnets' edge because the RHS doesn't equal 0? Why is the RHS negative?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since there's no such thing as a magnetic monopole, I assume that you mean there is a bar magnet at the origin with its north pole pointing up and the south pole pointing down. What does it mean when you say "completely outside the magnetic field"? That would be out at infinity?

berkeman said:
Since there's no such thing as a magnetic monopole, I assume that you mean there is a bar magnet at the origin with its north pole pointing up and the south pole pointing down. What does it mean when you say "completely outside the magnetic field"? That would be out at infinity?

I meant the north end of a bar magnet pointing down with another bar magnet some distance below it with it's south pole pointing upwards.

I guess by outside of the magnetic field they mean away from the edge of the magnets and the fringe effect. The way I described my rectangular path is the hint they gave in the textbook. "Bh" is the vertical side inside the field, and the term for the other vertical side disappears because B = 0.

cscott said:
I meant the north end of a bar magnet pointing down with another bar magnet some distance below it with it's south pole pointing upwards.

I guess by outside of the magnetic field they mean away from the edge of the magnets and the fringe effect. The way I described my rectangular path is the hint they gave in the textbook. "Bh" is the vertical side inside the field, and the term for the other vertical side disappears because B = 0.
So there are two bar magnets in series. Even so, the B field does not go to zero for that system except at infinity or with ideal magnetic field shielding. Something is missing here...

BTW, the "fringe effect" comes into play when you are working with calculating the capacitance of a finite size capacitor, not some magnetic geometry, IMO.

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the permeability of free space times the electric current passing through the loop.

2. How does Ampere's Law apply to magnetic fields at the poles?

Ampere's Law applies to magnetic fields at the poles in a similar way as it applies to any other closed loop. The magnetic field at the poles is a result of the electric currents flowing in the Earth's molten core. These currents create a magnetic field that follows the curvature of the Earth's surface, resulting in a loop-like shape.

3. What is the significance of exploring Ampere's Law at the poles?

Exploring Ampere's Law at the poles allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the Earth's magnetic field and its behavior. By studying the magnetic field at the poles, we can learn more about the Earth's interior and how it affects our planet's overall magnetic field. This knowledge can also be applied to various technologies, such as navigation systems.

4. How do scientists measure the magnetic field at the poles?

Scientists use instruments called magnetometers to measure the magnetic field at the poles. These instruments can detect changes in the Earth's magnetic field and provide data that can be used to create maps and models of the magnetic field at the poles.

5. Can Ampere's Law be applied to other planetary magnetic fields?

Yes, Ampere's Law can be applied to other planetary magnetic fields. In fact, it is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that applies to any closed loop. By studying the magnetic fields of other planets, we can gain a better understanding of their interior and how they differ from Earth's magnetic field.