1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FTIM question

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    Sorry all my vectors look like superscripts, don't know what that's about.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is wrong with the following argument?

Let A be an arbitrary m x n matrix. The vector A[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is obviously in CA so it can't be in N(AT) unless it's the zero vector, since CA is orthogonal to N(AT). Thus the only solution to ATA[tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex] is [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex] and ATA is an invertible matrix (by FTIM).

2. Relevant equations

The Fundamental Theorem of Invertible Matrices.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know if I understand the (incorrect) reasoning behind this argument. Mainly, I don't understand the connection between the end of the second sentence and the first half of the last sentence. What does CA and N (AT) being orthogonal have to do with the equation ATA[tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex]?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would help a lot if you would tell us (1) what CA and N(AT) mean, and (2) what this argument is supposed to prove.

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    CA is the column space of the matrix A and N(AT) is the null space of A transpose. Sorry, I thought that was standard notation.
    The argument says that given an arbitrary matrix A, the matrix ATA (the matrix you get when you multiply A by A transpose on the left) is invertible. The point of the problem is to recognize that this isn't true and find the faulty reasoning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook