Question: What is Wrong With the Argument?

• Thread starter lalligagger
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what the faulty reasoning is, but it's something to do with the fact that CA and N(AT) are orthogonal.
lalligagger
Sorry all my vectors look like superscripts, don't know what that's about.

Homework Statement

What is wrong with the following argument?

Let A be an arbitrary m x n matrix. The vector A[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is obviously in CA so it can't be in N(AT) unless it's the zero vector, since CA is orthogonal to N(AT). Thus the only solution to ATA[tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex] is [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex] and ATA is an invertible matrix (by FTIM).

Homework Equations

The Fundamental Theorem of Invertible Matrices.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I understand the (incorrect) reasoning behind this argument. Mainly, I don't understand the connection between the end of the second sentence and the first half of the last sentence. What does CA and N (AT) being orthogonal have to do with the equation ATA[tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
lalligagger said:
Sorry all my vectors look like superscripts, don't know what that's about.

Homework Statement

What is wrong with the following argument?

Let A be an arbitrary m x n matrix. The vector A[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is obviously in CA so it can't be in N(AT) unless it's the zero vector, since CA is orthogonal to N(AT). Thus the only solution to ATA[tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex] is [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex] and ATA is an invertible matrix (by FTIM).
It would help a lot if you would tell us (1) what CA and N(AT) mean, and (2) what this argument is supposed to prove.

Homework Equations

The Fundamental Theorem of Invertible Matrices.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I understand the (incorrect) reasoning behind this argument. Mainly, I don't understand the connection between the end of the second sentence and the first half of the last sentence. What does CA and N (AT) being orthogonal have to do with the equation ATA[tex]\vec{x}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{0}[/tex]?

CA is the column space of the matrix A and N(AT) is the null space of A transpose. Sorry, I thought that was standard notation.
The argument says that given an arbitrary matrix A, the matrix ATA (the matrix you get when you multiply A by A transpose on the left) is invertible. The point of the problem is to recognize that this isn't true and find the faulty reasoning.

1. What is the main issue with the argument?

The main issue with the argument is that it contains logical fallacies or errors in reasoning. This can make the argument weak or invalid, and it may not support the intended conclusion.

2. How can I identify what is wrong with an argument?

To identify what is wrong with an argument, you can look for inconsistencies, unsupported claims, biased language, or faulty logic. It is also helpful to critically analyze the evidence and sources used in the argument.

3. Can an argument be completely free of flaws?

No, it is rare for an argument to be completely free of flaws. However, a strong argument should have minimal flaws and be well-supported by evidence and logical reasoning.

4. What are some common logical fallacies that can weaken an argument?

Some common logical fallacies that can weaken an argument include ad hominem attacks, circular reasoning, false dichotomies, and hasty generalizations. Other fallacies include appeals to emotions, authority, and popularity.

5. How can I improve the strength of an argument?

To improve the strength of an argument, you can provide strong and relevant evidence, use sound reasoning, and acknowledge and address potential counterarguments. It is also important to use unbiased language and avoid logical fallacies.