Full wave rectifier with RC Load

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling a full-wave single phase thyristor controlled rectifier with a parallel resistor and capacitor. The goal is to calculate the average output DC voltage, but the speaker is struggling to find the equation or integral needed to solve it. They also mention the need for di/dt protection for the thyristor and capacitor.
Physicist3
Hi, I am trying to model a full wave single phase thyristor controlled rectifier feeding a resistor and capacitor in parallel (like a power supply I believe where the capacitor is used for smoothing?) and I would like to calculate the average output dc voltage in a similar fashion as for a resistive or RL load but I cannot seem to find a book with the equation or even the integral to be solved. Is this possible as I am struggling to find examples of it already being done?

Engineering news on Phys.org
oops i answered the wrong question deleted.

Resistor and capacitor in parallel?

Think about it ,

The capacitor will charge immediately to the supply voltage at instant thyristor fires... you'll need di/dt protect the thyristor and maybe the capacitor too..

Last edited:

1. What is a full wave rectifier with RC load?

A full wave rectifier with RC load is an electronic circuit that converts an alternating current (AC) voltage into a direct current (DC) voltage. It uses a combination of diodes and a capacitor to remove the negative or lower half of the AC waveform, resulting in a smoother DC output.

2. How does a full wave rectifier with RC load work?

The AC voltage is first passed through a transformer to step down the voltage and then through a bridge rectifier, which consists of four diodes connected in a specific way. The diodes only allow current to flow in one direction, resulting in a pulsating DC output. The capacitor connected in parallel with the load helps to smooth out the pulsating waveform, resulting in a more stable DC output.

3. What is the advantage of using an RC load in a full wave rectifier?

The use of an RC load in a full wave rectifier helps to filter out any remaining AC components from the output, resulting in a smoother and more stable DC voltage. This can be beneficial for electronic devices that require a constant and steady power supply.

4. Can a full wave rectifier with RC load be used for high current applications?

Yes, a full wave rectifier with RC load can be used for high current applications by using appropriately sized diodes and capacitors to handle the increased current. However, it is important to consider the power dissipation and heat generated by the diodes in high current applications.

5. What are some common applications of a full wave rectifier with RC load?

A full wave rectifier with RC load is commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices, such as audio amplifiers and battery chargers. It can also be used in AC voltage regulators and motor speed controllers. Additionally, it is used in many electronic circuits to convert AC signals into DC signals for further processing.