Rolling Friction: How Does it Affect the Velocity of a Sphere?

In summary, IMK is looking for help in creating a function for friction on a rolling sphere, which takes into account the surface friction, velocity, time, and inclination. The conversation also touches on the effects of air resistance and deformations on the ball's slowdown force. More research and experimentation may be needed to determine the exact equation for this function.
IMK
Hello,

I am writing a simple programme and need a function for friction acting on a rolling sphere and I am not sure how to go about it so can you help please.

The environment will be a sphere rolling across a horizontal surface of friction f at a velocity of.v and I wish to compute the new v after a period of time t.

I guess v will be in m/s, t will be in seconds or a fraction of and f will be the friction factor where 0 is none and 1 what arrest the sphere instantly. Thus

Newv = FunctionForFriction( v , t , f )

Then if it does not make the function much more complex it would be nice if I could vary the inclination of the surface the sphere is rolling across. Where i is the inclination of the surface in degrees, thus 45 would be up hill and -45 would be down hill.

Newv = FunctionForFriction( v , t , f , i )

Also I assume that this will be in a vacuum and therefore air resistance need not be considered.

Many thanks in advance IMK
To be a part of the solution and not part of the problem

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The thing is, if the ball is "rolling" perfectly, then theoretically it would keep rolling forever. The friction doesn't actually slow down the ball once it is rolling - it just makes sure that the ball is rolling instead of sliding. In real life, the air resistance and small deformations of the ball and surface are what slows it down. For example a soccer ball rolling along a pitch will lose energy crumpling blades of grass it rolls over. That crinkling is separate from friction though.

maze said:
The thing is, if the ball is "rolling" perfectly, then theoretically it would keep rolling forever. The friction doesn't actually slow down the ball once it is rolling - it just makes sure that the ball is rolling instead of sliding. In real life, the air resistance and small deformations of the ball and surface are what slows it down. For example a soccer ball rolling along a pitch will lose energy crumpling blades of grass it rolls over. That crinkling is separate from friction though.

Maze, many thanks for the correction.
Then how do I apply the above to my requirment then please.
Many thanks IMK

You could make a fake "friction force" to approximately account for all the energy loss due to air resistance, deformations, etc etc. I'm not sure if the net slowdown force goes proportional to the velocity of the ball like air resistance, or if it goes proportional to the normal force on the ball like friction, or if it obeys some other rules, or if the form of the equation depends on what type of surface you are rolling on.

This would make an interesting experiment actually - to go roll some balls along the grass with a stopwatch and distance markings and figure out how it works.

My hypothesis would be that the slowdown force goes proportional to the velocity, since from experience it seems like a rolling golf ball or soccer ball spends a disproportionate amount of time rolling really slowly right before it stops, as compared to a sliding block which seems to spend more of its time going fast and then stop abruptly.

Last edited:

Related to Rolling Friction: How Does it Affect the Velocity of a Sphere?

What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is a type of friction that occurs when an object is rolling over a surface. It is the resistance or force that opposes the motion of the object.

What causes rolling friction?

Rolling friction is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on. As the object rolls, there is a small amount of compression and deformation between the two surfaces, which creates resistance.

How is rolling friction different from other types of friction?

Rolling friction is different from other types of friction, such as sliding friction or static friction, because it only occurs when an object is rolling. It is also typically lower in magnitude compared to other types of friction.

How is rolling friction affected by different surfaces?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of rolling friction. Rougher surfaces will generally have higher rolling friction compared to smoother surfaces. Additionally, the type of material and the amount of lubrication can also impact rolling friction.

Can rolling friction be reduced?

Yes, rolling friction can be reduced by minimizing the deformation between the object and the surface it is rolling on. This can be achieved by using smoother surfaces, reducing the weight of the object, or using lubricants to reduce friction.