Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Functional integral (semiclassic formula)

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1

tpm

If to calculate the propagator K(x,x') (vaccuum)for a theory so:

[tex] (i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\Psi - H\Psi )K(x,x')=\delta (x-x') [/tex] (1)

we use the functional integral approach:

[tex] K(x,x')=<0|e^{iS[x]/\hbar }|0> [/tex]

my question is, let's suppose we use the semiclassical WKB approach to calculate [tex] K_{WKB} (x,x') [/tex] my question is ¿does the classical propagator satisfies the Schöedinguer equation (1) or as an approximation i'd like to know if the semiclassical propagator satisfies a Hamilton-Jacobi type equation... thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2
    hello
    the solution of Hamilton-Jacobi equation is the generators of the canonical transformations (such as the action (the phase) it self) you can see articles: Barut , another : Boujdaa

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    The WKB approximation is a first order expansion in powers of h-bar, so that's how it's related. To zeroth order, you obtain the Hamilton-Jacobi equation, and to first order I believe is where you get the WKB approximation, if I recall correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?