1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Functor categories

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] be the discrete category of natural numbers. Describe the functor category [tex]\mathrm{Ab}^{\mathbb N}[/tex] (commonly known as the category of graded abelian groups).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] is discrete, a functor [tex]\mathbb N\xrightarrow A\mathrm{Ab}[/tex] is simply a sequence [tex](A_n) = A_0,A_1,\dots[/tex] of abelian groups; an arrow [tex](A_n)\xrightarrow{\sigma} (B_n)[/tex] is given by arrows [tex]A_0\xrightarrow{\sigma_0}B_0, A_1\xrightarrow{\sigma_1}B_1,\dots[/tex].

This looks right, but seems too simple to me. I don't know very much about grading, but I thought there had to be some way of "going up the A's" (like [tex]\otimes\colon V^{\otimes i}\times V^{\otimes j}\to V^{\otimes i+j}[/tex] in the case of the tensor algebra)

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    For a graded ring you need to have an i thing times a j thing be an i+j thing. Since this problem is just with abelian groups, there is no such condition.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook