Understanding Functor Categories in Graded Abelian Groups

• Thread starter error792
  • Start date
In summary, the functor category \mathrm{Ab}^{\mathbb N} is the category of graded abelian groups, where the discrete category \mathbb N represents the sequence of abelian groups and arrows between them are given by arrows between individual elements in the sequence. Unlike a graded ring, there is no requirement for the elements to have a specific grading.
error792

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] be the discrete category of natural numbers. Describe the functor category [tex]\mathrm{Ab}^{\mathbb N}[/tex] (commonly known as the category of graded abelian groups).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since [tex]\mathbb N[/tex] is discrete, a functor [tex]\mathbb N\xrightarrow A\mathrm{Ab}[/tex] is simply a sequence [tex](A_n) = A_0,A_1,\dots[/tex] of abelian groups; an arrow [tex](A_n)\xrightarrow{\sigma} (B_n)[/tex] is given by arrows [tex]A_0\xrightarrow{\sigma_0}B_0, A_1\xrightarrow{\sigma_1}B_1,\dots[/tex].

This looks right, but seems too simple to me. I don't know very much about grading, but I thought there had to be some way of "going up the A's" (like [tex]\otimes\colon V^{\otimes i}\times V^{\otimes j}\to V^{\otimes i+j}[/tex] in the case of the tensor algebra)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a graded ring you need to have an i thing times a j thing be an i+j thing. Since this problem is just with abelian groups, there is no such condition.

What is a functor category?

A functor category is a category whose objects are functors and whose morphisms are natural transformations between functors. It is a way to organize and study the relationships between different functors.

What is the purpose of functor categories?

The purpose of functor categories is to provide a framework for understanding and working with functors in a systematic way. They allow us to compare and compose functors, and to study their properties and behaviors in a more structured manner.

How are functor categories different from regular categories?

Functor categories are different from regular categories in that their objects are functors, rather than sets or objects from another category. Their morphisms are also different, as they are natural transformations between functors, rather than just arrows between objects.

What are some examples of functor categories?

Some examples of functor categories include the category of endofunctors on a category, the category of functors between two fixed categories, and the category of functors between categories with specific properties (such as abelian categories or topological categories).

What are the applications of functor categories in mathematics?

Functor categories have many applications in mathematics, including in algebra, topology, and category theory. They are often used to study and classify structures, to define and study universal properties, and to prove theorems about categories and their properties.