1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find Derivative

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find the derivative of the function

g(x) = [tex]\sqrt{x}\int sinx[/tex] Ln(t) [tex]\frac{cos(t)}{t}[/tex] dt

g'(x) = lnx cosx / x. By integrating this function, you receive the function g(x). Then by differentiating g(x) you receive g'(x) which is what is given, according to FTCI.

I was told I got this completely wrong. (out of 5) So looking for some help. Thanks in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2
    I do not understand something. Could you possibly rewrite the original problem?
    Is it:

[tex]g(x)=\sqrt{x}\int{sin(x)dx} *\int{\frac{ln(t)*cos(t)}{t}dt} [/tex]

Regards.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

As stated, the function [tex]g(x)[/tex] doesn't look quite right. Is it supposed to be defined such that,

[tex]g(x) = \sqrt x sin(x) \int_{a}^x \frac{ln(t)cos(t)}{t} \, dt[/tex]

If so, then use the product rule of differentiation because [tex]g(x)[/tex] can be defined in terms of the product of two functions [tex]u[/tex] and [tex]v[/tex] where,

[tex]u = \sqrt x sin(x)[/tex]

[tex]v = \int_{a}^x \frac{ln(t)cos(t)}{t} \, dt[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook