1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Funny integral

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    [SOLVED] funny integral

hi everyone

its funny but all maths-software fail solving this "simple" integral

[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan x}\, dx[/tex]

do you know another funny integrals?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    Mathematica gives an answer:

[tex]\frac{-2 \tan ^{-1}\left(1-\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)\right)+2 \tan ^{-1}\left(\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)+1\right)+\log
    \left(-\tan (x)+\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)-1\right)-\log \left(\tan (x)+\sqrt{2} \tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}(x)+1\right)}{2
    \sqrt{2}}[/tex]

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3

lurflurf

Homework Helper

[tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx=\int\frac{\sec^2(x)}{1+\tan^2(x)}\sqrt{\tan(x)}dx=\int\frac{2\tan(x)}{1+\tan^2(x)}d\sqrt{\tan(x)}[/tex]
    so it hinges on the always fun
    [tex]\int\frac{x^2}{1+x^4}dx[/tex]

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4
    What is about this integral .. ?

[tex] \int_0^{\frac \pi 2} \ln ( \sin x ) . \ dx [/tex]

Can the mathematical softwares, such as Maple amd Mathematica give you
    the answer :[tex] - \frac \pi 2 \ln 2 [/tex] ?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  6. Oct 2, 2005 #5
    Change ln to its integral form (so you get a double integral) and use change of variables on that form.

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6
    Unfortunately, I edited my previous replay after you replied .. !

I wanted to say that the answer of this integral can't be obtained by Maple or Mathematica ..

Also , I solved the integral with a method different from your method .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  8. Oct 11, 2005 #7
    Wow, I was looking up ways to figure out how to use the LaTeX graphics so that I type [tex]\int \sqrt{\tan(x)}dx[/tex] and ask for help solving that. It's a funny coincidence that I stumbled into this thread. I'm a very lucky person.

Anyway... I can transform the integral into [tex]2\int\frac{u^2}{1+u^4}du[/tex]. I know what the antiderivative of that is is (I found it in a book of mathematical tables), but I don't know how to prove it. Do you happen to know how to find the antiderivative of [tex]\frac{u^2}{1+u^4}[/tex]?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  9. Oct 11, 2005 #8
    There was a long thread on this a while back. Can't find it though. Another strange one I've found (similar to one posted above) is:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{1+x^4}\,dx[/tex]

You have to use that fact that x4+1=(x2+1)2-2x2. And then use the difference of two squares. It gets messy.

Alex

10. Oct 12, 2005 #9

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't try Derive 6! :)

11. Oct 12, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not all, my ancient version of Maple (5.3 i guess) gives

[tex] \int \sqrt{\tan x}dx=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2}\arctan \sqrt{2}\frac{\tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}x}{1-\tan x}-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{2}\ln \frac{\tan x+\sqrt{2}\tan ^{\frac{1}{2}}x+1}{\sqrt{\left( 1+\tan ^{2}x\right) }} + C[/tex].

Daniel.

12. Oct 12, 2005 #11

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gellman,

Incidentally, MuPAD also gives the correct result. What package were you using?

13. Oct 18, 2005 #12
    This a method to solve the integral ..
    [tex] \int \frac { u^2 } { u^4 +1 } du =\frac 12 \int \frac { 2u^2 } { u^4 +1 } du = \frac 12 \int \frac { u^2 -1 } { u^4 +1 } du + \frac { u^2 +1 } { u^4 +1 } du [/tex]
    [tex] = \frac 12 \int \frac { 1 - \frac 1 {u^2} }{ u^2 + \frac 1{u^2} } du
    +\frac 12 \int \frac { 1 + \frac 1 {u^2} }{ u^2 + \frac 1{u^2} } du
    [/tex]
    [tex]= \frac 12 \int \frac { 1 - \frac 1 {u^2} }{ \left (u + \frac 1u \right ) ^2 -1 } du
    +\frac 12 \int \frac { 1 + \frac 1 {u^2} }{ \left (u - \frac 1u \right)^2 +1 } du [/tex]
    [tex] =\frac 12 \int \frac { d \left (u + \frac 1u \right ) }{ \left (u + \frac 1u \right ) ^2 -1 }
    +\frac 12 \int \frac { d \left (u - \frac 1u \right ) }{ \left (u - \frac 1u \right)^2 +1 } [/tex]

[tex] \mbox { In the first integral , make the subsitution :} v = u + \frac 1u [/tex]
    [tex] \mbox { and in the second integral , make the subsitution : } v = u - \frac 1u [/tex]

The integrals become now simple , you can integrate them easily

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  14. Oct 20, 2005 #13

benorin

Homework Helper

Yes, that fact indeed. Read attached gif, see what is meant.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?