Further Reading on Mass of Photon

In summary, the conversation is about a physics major needing to prepare a presentation on the mass of a photon for their theoretical physics class. They are looking for sources or key search terms to help with their research, but have found that most online resources are too simplistic. Additionally, there is a discussion on the importance of understanding classical field theory and gauge symmetry in relation to the mass of a photon, as well as references to experimental tests on the subject.
qwertyomega
Hi,

Im in my final undergraduate year of a physics major. I need to prepare a short presentation for "The mass of a photon" in my theoretical physics class. I do not do particle physics at a high level, so I don't have much experience in this field. Can anyone recommend me a source or key search terms or some recent papers on this broad concept. Everything I find online, including somewhat the FAQ posted here, was too simplistic. I understand there are some experiments that put an upper bound on the photons mass?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me exactly what type of reading you are looking for. If you want to understand why the photon mass is zero you need to look further into classical field theory and understand why a mass term violates gauge symmetry. If you are after the experimental tests, there are a few listed on the wikipedia page along with references.

1. What is the mass of a photon?

The mass of a photon is zero. This is because photons are particles of light and do not have any mass. Instead, they have energy and momentum.

2. How is the mass of a photon measured?

The mass of a photon is not directly measured, as it is a fundamental particle and cannot be broken down into smaller components. Instead, scientists use indirect methods such as measuring the energy and momentum of a photon to determine its mass.

3. Can the mass of a photon change?

No, the mass of a photon cannot change. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the mass of a photon is always constant and does not change regardless of its speed or energy.

4. What is the significance of the mass of a photon?

The mass of a photon is significant because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of light. It also plays a crucial role in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Are there any experiments that have been conducted to study the mass of a photon?

Yes, there have been several experiments conducted to study the mass of a photon. One example is the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference, supporting the idea of a massless photon.