Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Further Reading on Mass of Photon

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1
    Hi,

Im in my final undergraduate year of a physics major. I need to prepare a short presentation for "The mass of a photon" in my theoretical physics class. I do not do particle physics at a high level, so I don't have much experience in this field. Can anyone recommend me a source or key search terms or some recent papers on this broad concept. Everything I find online, including somewhat the FAQ posted here, was too simplistic. I understand there are some experiments that put an upper bound on the photons mass?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not clear to me exactly what type of reading you are looking for. If you want to understand why the photon mass is zero you need to look further into classical field theory and understand why a mass term violates gauge symmetry. If you are after the experimental tests, there are a few listed on the wikipedia page along with references.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook