Proving g.c.d.(a,b) in a PID: A Homework Solution

• Thread starter *melinda*
  • Start date
In summary, the goal is to prove that in a PID, if a and b are nonzero elements, then there exist elements s and t in the domain such that sa + tb = g.c.d.(a,b) and satisfies criteria (i) and (ii) for the definition of g.c.d. The proof involves using the properties of rings and the fact that g.c.d.'s in a PID are associates.
*melinda*

Homework Statement

Prove: If a, b are nonzero elements in a PID, then there are elements s, t in the domain such that sa + tb = g.c.d.(a,b).

Homework Equations

g.c.d.(a,b) = sa + tb if sa + tb is an element of the domain such that,
(i) (sa + tb)|a and (sa + tb)|b and
(ii) If f|a and f|b then f|(sa + tb)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since a, b, s, t, are all elements of the PID, so is sa + tb by properties of rings.

I also know that if f|a and f|b then a = xf and b = yf. So f|(sa + tb) can be written as f|(sx + ty)f, which shows that f|(sa + tb) as desired.

I'm just not sure how to satisfy criteria (i) of the definition of g.c.d.

I know that if d and d' are g.c.d.'s of a and b, then d and d' are associates, but I'm not sure how to use this to my advantage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to have invoked the fact you are in a PID, rather than in an arbitrary ring...

Related to Proving g.c.d.(a,b) in a PID: A Homework Solution

1. What is a PID?

A PID, or principal ideal domain, is a type of ring in abstract algebra where every ideal can be generated by a single element. This means that every element in the ring can be represented as a product of this single element and another element in the ring.

2. What is the g.c.d. of two elements in a PID?

In a PID, the greatest common divisor (g.c.d.) of two elements a and b is the largest element that can divide both a and b without leaving a remainder. This element is unique up to multiplication by a unit in the PID.

3. How is the g.c.d. of two elements found in a PID?

The g.c.d. of two elements a and b in a PID can be found by taking the ideal generated by a and b, and then finding the "largest" element in this ideal. This element will be the g.c.d. of a and b.

4. Why is it important to prove the g.c.d. in a PID?

Proving the g.c.d. in a PID is important because it helps us understand the structure of the ring and its ideals. Additionally, knowing the g.c.d. allows us to simplify expressions and solve equations in the ring.

5. What is the process for proving the g.c.d. in a PID?

The process for proving the g.c.d. in a PID involves showing that the g.c.d. satisfies three conditions: it must be a common divisor of a and b, it must be the largest common divisor of a and b, and it must generate the ideal of a and b. This can be done using properties of PIDs, such as the Euclidean algorithm or prime factorization.