Galilean transformations - What am I messing up here?

In summary: Keep in mind that the photon is moving in the y-axis, and the second observer is moving in the x-axis. The speed of the photon is always c, so the path would be AC+CB=t'c. If the photon moved in x axis, then we would face intuition against relativity, and the photon...
Achmed
This is a follow-up to a question I asked earlier. We have the following exercise:

We have two parallel mirrors, which are located at y=0 and y=l in the (x,y) plane. A photon is traveling between the mirrors, up and down along the y-axis. Consider an observer O at rest w.r.t. the mirrors.

1. What's the time (Δt) measure by O for the photon to make a full period.
Consider an observer O' which moves along the x-axis with a speed v, which is constant. Assume l' = l.

2. Using Galilean transformations from Newt. mech. , what's the time measured by O' for the photon to make a full period (draw a picture to illustrate the logic). Compare this with the time measured by O.

So for 1, the answer is [itex] \Delta t= \dfrac{2l}{c} [/itex]. I tried to do 2 too, but I keep getting a somewhat incorrect answer. Here's what I do:

Draw an isosceles triangle [itex]ABC[/itex] with [itex] |AB| = vt' [/itex], and the height is l. I figured that [itex] t' = \dfrac{2|AB|}{c'} [/itex], where [itex] c' = c-v [/itex]. So we try to solve the following equation: [itex] (c't')^2 = 4l^2 + (vt')^2 [/itex], but if I solve for t', I get an almost correct answer, which of course is still incorrect. You get [itex] t' = \dfrac{2l}{\sqrt{c^2-2cv}} [/itex], and of course we want [itex] t= \dfrac{2l}{c} [/itex] because in Newtonian mechanics t=t'. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not wrong, you've missed a factor 2 in t' (you gave the solution for just AC (or BC), and it should be both to consider the path that the photon would do for the O' observer. So it is, [itex]t'=\frac{4l}{\sqrt{4c^2-v^2}}[/itex], and when [itex]v<<c[/itex] (Newtonian approach) then [itex]t'=t=\frac{2l}{c}[/itex].

cwasdqwe said:
If I'm not wrong, you've missed a factor 2 in t' (you gave the solution for just AC (or BC), and it should be both to consider the path that the photon would do for the O' observer. So it is, [itex]t'=\frac{4l}{\sqrt{4c^2-v^2}}[/itex], and when [itex]v<<c[/itex] (Newtonian approach) then [itex]t'=t=\frac{2l}{c}[/itex].
If you draw a triangle with ABC where AB is vt', then wouldn't AC + BC be equal to simply c't'?

I'm not sure if I followed you in your definition [itex]c'=c-v[/itex] (remember Einstein's discovery about speed of light as the only constant element in his Theory of Relativity). Am I misunderstanding you?

cwasdqwe said:
I'm not sure if I followed you in your definition [itex]c'=c-v[/itex] (remember Einstein's discovery about speed of light as the only constant element in his Theory of Relativity). Am I misunderstanding you?

This question is a sort of intro question for a special relativity course, in the next question you have to assume c' = c. But in this question you have to assume that everything is Newtonian, i.e. you want to obtain that t=t'. But, as I say in the OP, I can't seem to figure out what I've done wrong.

Hope I'm getting it well (the axis and the mirror positions): I consider two parallel mirrors (y=0 and y=l) —parallel to the xz plane, although we don't need to consider z axis here. The observer O' travels perpendicular to these in x-axis (AB in my triangle) —or equivalent, the mirrors move in x-axis with constant speed v. In this scenario, O' looks how the photon doing a path which is not a straight line in y (case 1), but two diagonal lines (AC+CB). These three paths close the triangle of height l. Now, we know the two cathetus (AB/2 and the height, l) and the hypothenuse is half the distance that the photon travels for O' ([itex]ct'/2[/itex]—which is what you write but with c' instead of c), and Pythagoras gives the answer for t' seen above.

cwasdqwe said:
Hope I'm getting it well (the axis and the mirror positions): I consider two parallel mirrors (y=0 and y=l) —parallel to the xz plane, although we don't need to consider z axis here. The observer O' travels perpendicular to these in x-axis (AB in my triangle) —or equivalent, the mirrors move in x-axis with constant speed v. In this scenario, O' looks how the photon doing a path which is not a straight line in y (case 1), but two diagonal lines (AC+CB). These three paths close the triangle of height l. Now, we know the two cathetus (AB/2 and the height, l) and the hypothenuse is half the distance that the photon travels for O' ([itex]ct'/2[/itex]—which is what you write but with c' instead of c), and Pythagoras gives the answer for t' seen above.

Shouldn't it be c't'/2 = (c-v)t/2?

Keep in mind that the photon is moving in the y-axis, and the second observer is moving in the x-axis. The speed of the photon is always c, so the path would be AC+CB=t'c. If the photon moved in x axis, then we would face intuition against relativity, and the photon moves always at c, but this luxury costs something to the Universe: to deform space-time in order to make it happen.

Achmed said:
Draw an isosceles triangle [itex]ABC[/itex] with [itex] |AB| = vt' [/itex], and the height is l. I figured that [itex] t' = \dfrac{2|AB|}{c'} [/itex], where [itex] c' = c-v [/itex].
Where exactly are A, B, and C? Is AB the base of the triangle and C the apex (so that AC = BC)? If so, I don't see why you think that t' = 2 AB/c'. Shouldn't it be t' = 2 AC/c'?

If B is the apex so that AB = BC and AC is the base of the triangle, then shouldn't you have AC = vt'?

Finally, c' is not c-v. Think about the case where v=c. You'd have c'=0, but the photon would be moving along a 45-degree line, right?

Related to Galilean transformations - What am I messing up here?

1. What are Galilean transformations?

Galilean transformations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the position, velocity, and time measurements of an object in different reference frames.

2. What is the significance of Galilean transformations in physics?

Galilean transformations are important in physics because they allow us to understand and predict the motion of objects in different frames of reference, which is crucial for experiments and practical applications.

3. How do Galilean transformations differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

Galilean transformations are based on the assumption of absolute time and space, while Einstein's theory of relativity takes into account the fact that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative motion.

4. Can Galilean transformations be applied to all types of motion?

No, Galilean transformations are only applicable to objects moving at constant velocities. They do not take into account the effects of acceleration or the speed of light, which are accounted for in Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Are Galilean transformations still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, while Galilean transformations may not apply in all cases, they are still used in many practical applications and serve as a useful approximation for slow-moving objects. However, for high-speed or relativistic motion, Einstein's theory of relativity is essential for accurate predictions.