1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Galois extensions

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]\beta[/tex] be a real, positive fourth root of 5. Is [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-5})[/tex] Galois over [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]? How about [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\beta + i\beta)/\mathbb{Q}[/tex] or [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\beta + i\beta)/\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-5})[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations

An extension is Galois when it is normal and separable.

3. The attempt at a solution

Any push whatsoever in the right direction would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you tell me anything at all about those extensions?

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    Do you know a condition equivalent to being Galois that involves splitting?

5. Jan 12, 2010 #4
    well, a field [tex]A[/tex] is galois over [tex]B[/tex] if it is the splitting field of some polynomial in [tex]B[x][/tex] which has distinct roots in [tex]A[/tex].

so then, [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{-5})[/tex] is the splitting field of the polynomial [tex]x^2 + 5[/tex], which has coefficients in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. this is because [tex]x^2 + 5 = (x + \sqrt{-5})(x - \sqrt{-5})[/tex], and hence the roots are also distinct, and so in the first case, we do have a galois extension.

but i can't apply this to the second two ideas, because i can't tell anything about the field [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\beta + i\beta)[/tex]. it doesn't seem to be the same as [tex]\mathbb{Q}(i, \beta)[/tex] or anything of the sort. am i missing something obvious?

thanks so much.

6. Jan 12, 2010 #5
    also, thinking about the polynomial [tex](x + \beta + i\beta)(x + \beta - i\beta)(x - \beta + i\beta)(x - \beta - i\beta)[/tex] doesn't help, because it gives me the information that [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\beta + i\beta)[/tex] is galois over [tex]\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt{5})[/tex], but nothing else, and i don't see how this helps in the problem.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. Jan 12, 2010 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is b-ib really in Q(b+ib)?

8. Jan 12, 2010 #7
    no, it isn't, but it doesn't follow that it's not galois, right? i've worked for a while, and can't find explicit separable polynomials whose splitting fields are precisely those, but then what does that prove?

i really don't see a way to disprove they're galois extensions. even if they are, i can't find the explicit polynomials, but my intuition points to a disproof. =( but how do i do that?

9. Jan 12, 2010 #8
    oh i got the fact that it's galois over the third one -- from the polynomial x^2 - 2i*b^2.

what about the last one?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook