Gamma factor in legth and mass demostration

• Thread starter Littlepig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gamma Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of length and mass contraction in relation to the gamma factor in special relativity. The conversation includes a demonstration of time dilation using a light clock and a discussion on how to demonstrate length and mass contraction mathematically. The conversation includes equations and thought experiments to support the concept of length contraction and mass dilation.
Littlepig

Homework Statement

I'm studing relativity(on extraschool) and known about gamma factor influences time, after some tries, I demostrate that if A is at Va, in relation to B: "light distance"=sqrt("light distance for B"^2-"distance traveled by A"^2)

where we say that "light distance"=c*"ta"; "light distance for B"=c*"tb"; and "distance traveled by A"=Vatb resolving and we demonstrate it...i gess you know what i mean...

now my problem is who to demonstrate that leght and mass are too influenced by gamma factor.

Homework Equations

wish i know then...

The Attempt at a Solution

don't have a tought...:X

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean you wish to prove length contraction?

Hootenanny said:
You mean you wish to prove length contraction?

indeed, and mass, but by maths method, not by "concept" method, what is the begining? what is the permiss that is missing me to acept that Y can too interfer in mass and leght(by math method)

Length contraction follows directly from time dilation. Time dilation can be 'proved' using a simple thought experiment. Length contraction follows directly from the lerentz transformations, so there is little in the way of a 'mathematical' proof, as far as I know.

Hootenanny said:
Length contraction follows directly from time dilation. Time dilation can be 'proved' using a simple thought experiment. Length contraction follows directly from the lerentz transformations, so there is little in the way of a 'mathematical' proof, as far as I know.

yes yes, till there i agree with it, but i wnat to demonstrate it mathematicaly...

ok, my point is:

for have time dilatation we have that:

2 obeservers, A and B, A is moving at speed Va and B is still.
"A" have a light clock(2 perfect mirrors, 1 photosensor, 1 laser making a 90º to mirrors).

as light travels at same speed at diferent referencials, we have that B will see the light moving not at 90º but at a diferent angle.
A will jut see light moving up and down like nothing was hapening...

now, from trignometry, [tex] c_1=sqrt(H^2-c_2^2) [/tex]

as [tex]V=d/t[/tex],

we have that:
distance that light takes, measured by B is H,
distance travel by light, measured by A is [tex]c_1[/tex];
distance travel A, measured by B, is [tex]c_2[/tex];

so as [tex]d=V \cdot t[/tex];

[tex]t_A \cdot c= \sqrt{(t_B \cdot c)^2-(t_b \cdot V_a)^2}<=>t_B= \frac{t_A}{ \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

now, i demonstrated with maths the time dilatation...how i demonstrate leght contraction and mass dilatation?

Last edited:
Littlepig said:
how i demonstrate leght contraction and mass dilatation?

still looking for some clue, I've search in wiki, but everything is already demonstrated, they only put the formulas there...the rest is explication of then...:(

consider a light clock [whose separation of mirrors is] oriented in the direction of motion, rather than perpendicular...
..and don't forget to use the principle of relativity.

Littlepig said:
yes yes, till there i agree with it, but i wnat to demonstrate it mathematicaly...

ok, my point is:

for have time dilatation we have that:

2 obeservers, A and B, A is moving at speed Va and B is still.
"A" have a light clock(2 perfect mirrors, 1 photosensor, 1 laser making a 90º to mirrors).

as light travels at same speed at diferent referencials, we have that B will see the light moving not at 90º but at a diferent angle.
A will jut see light moving up and down like nothing was hapening...

now, from trignometry, [tex] c_1=sqrt(H^2-c_2^2) [/tex]

as [tex]V=d/t[/tex],

we have that:
distance that light takes, measured by B is H,
distance travel by light, measured by A is [tex]c_1[/tex];
distance travel A, measured by B, is [tex]c_2[/tex];

so as [tex]d=V \cdot t[/tex];

[tex]t_A \cdot c= \sqrt{(t_B \cdot c)^2-(t_b \cdot V_a)^2}<=>t_B= \frac{t_A}{ \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

now, i demonstrated with maths the time dilatation...how i demonstrate leght contraction and mass dilatation?

ok, after some tries, i think i reach a point it's correct, however, i would like a confirmation of what I've done.

so, to demonstrate a leght contration, I used this logic:

[tex]t_B= \frac{t_A}{ \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}, V=\frac{d}{t}<=>t=\frac{d}{v}[/tex]
with d as the leght travel by "a".

so, as v_a is equal to both observers,

[tex]\frac{d_b}{v_a}=\frac{d_a/v_a}{ \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

what is equal to:

[tex]\frac{d_b}{v_a}=\frac{d_a}{v_a \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

what is equal to:

[tex]d_b=\frac{d_a}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

what is equal to:

[tex]d_a=d_b \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

so, to observer "a", who is moving, leght is everytime lower than to "b", and convertor factor is "Y"

am I right??

to demonstrate mass dilatation, I dout it's correct by my though, however, i putted it here:biggrin: :

[tex]d_a=d_b \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
and,
[tex]D= \frac{m}{V}[/tex]
where m is mass, D is density, and V is Volume

so, considering a rectangular object,

[tex]m= D \cdot (H \cdot W \cdot d)[/tex]
where H is High, w is Width, and d is Leght

considering m_a the mass of "a" for the observer "a" and m_b the mass of "a" for the observer "b"

for moving observer "a"
[tex]m_a= D \cdot H \cdot W \cdot d_a[/tex]

for rest observer "b":
[tex]m_b= D \cdot H \cdot W \cdot \frac{d_a}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}}[/tex]

so, taking D off:

[tex]\frac{m_a}{H \cdot W \cdot d_a}=\frac{m_b}{H \cdot W \cdot d_a} \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

as H, W, D and d_a are equal to both observers,

[tex]m_a=m_b \cdot \sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

so,

[tex]m_b=\frac{m_a}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v_a^2}{c^2}}}}[/tex]

can it be done with this logic? or we need to use another way??

thanks in advance, and hope wasn't too annoying

Last edited:

1. What is gamma factor in length and mass demonstration?

Gamma factor is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between the measurements of length and mass in different reference frames. It is commonly used in the theory of special relativity to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is gamma factor calculated?

The gamma factor, also known as the Lorentz factor, is calculated as the reciprocal of the square root of 1 minus the square of the ratio of the relative velocity to the speed of light (γ = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2)). This formula takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. What is the significance of gamma factor in physics?

The gamma factor is a crucial component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It explains how the measurements of time, length, and mass change in different reference frames, and is essential in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

4. How does gamma factor affect the measurement of length and mass?

The gamma factor causes length and mass to appear different in different reference frames. As an object's velocity increases, its length appears shorter and its mass appears greater to an observer in a different reference frame. This effect is known as length contraction and mass dilation.

5. Can gamma factor be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the effects of gamma factor can be observed in everyday life, especially at very high speeds. For example, GPS satellites orbiting the Earth experience time dilation due to their high velocities, which must be taken into account to accurately calculate the position and time on Earth. Additionally, particle accelerators use the principles of special relativity, including the gamma factor, to accelerate particles to nearly the speed of light for scientific experiments.