Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gamma matrix trace Paradox?

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

gamma matrix trace Paradox??

Hello, i tried to evaluate this particular little guy:

[tex]\text{Tr} (\gamma ^0 p_\mu \gamma ^\mu \gamma ^0 q_\nu \gamma ^\nu )[/tex]

using these identities:

[tex]\gamma^0 \gamma^0 = I[/tex]

[tex]\text{Tr} (\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \gamma^\rho \gamma^\sigma) = 4 (g^{\rho \sigma} g^{\mu \nu} - g^{\nu \sigma} g^{\mu \rho} + g^{\mu \sigma}g^{\nu \rho} ) [/tex]

[tex] \text{Tr} (\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu) = 4\eta^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

[tex] g^{00} = 1, \quad g^{ii} = -1 [/tex]

using that second relation, I get:

[tex] p_\mu q_\nu \text{Tr} (\gamma ^0 \gamma ^\mu \gamma ^0 \gamma ^\nu ) = p_\mu q_\nu 4 (g^{0\mu} g^{0 \nu} - g^{0 0} g^{\mu \nu } + g^{\mu 0}g^{\nu 0} ) = [/tex]

[tex] p_\mu q_\nu (8\delta ^{0\mu}\delta ^{0\nu} - 4g^{\mu \nu } ) = 4p^0q^0 + 4\vec{q}\cdot \vec{p}[/tex]

Using the first and third, and the fact the traces are invariant under cyclic permutations of matrices.

[tex]p_\mu q_\nu\text{Tr} (\gamma^0 \gamma ^0 \gamma ^\mu \gamma ^\nu ) = p_\mu q_\nu 4g^{\mu \nu } = 4p^0q^0 - 4\vec{q}\cdot \vec{p}[/tex]

What happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: gamma matrix trace Paradox??

I found the solution to the paradox, I did not do a CYCLIC permutation ;-)

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it is much easier to substitute [tex]p_\mu\gamma^\mu = p_0\gamma^0 + p_j\gamma^j[/tex]. Then separate into two sums. You get two sums. One has [tex](\gamma^0)^3[/tex] which you can reduce easily. The other has a product [tex]\gamma^0\gamma^j\gamma^0[/tex]. To reduce this, note that [tex]\gamma^0[/tex] and [tex]\gamma^j[/tex] anticommute. Now do the same thing with the other gamma product.

I never could figure out why students are taught the hard way to do these problems. One should always rely on the facts of the Clifford algebra, that is, anticommutation, and squaring to +1 or -1 for the gammas.

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know, we are taught to use anticommutation relations with the metric and using cyclic invariant of trace.

I see the strength in your advice although. Thank you

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the reason they teach it to you that way is because it is more general. That is, they are teaching you things according to the principles of symmetry and this will work for other spin cases than spin 1/2. The trick I showed you only works for spin 1/2.

By the way, there is a whole nother method that uses density matrix principles instead of spinors and I like those methods too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook