Gas in a semi permeable membrane - one for the gas experts

In summary, there is a debate among employees at a latex balloon company about whether or not to fill larger balloons with helium when placing a smaller balloon filled with helium inside. Some argue that it reduces leakage from the smaller balloon, while others believe it is a waste of helium and actually causes the larger balloon to deflate faster. The reason for this debate is not clear, but some suggest that the larger molecules of nitrogen in the smaller balloon may be blocking the pores and preventing helium from escaping. However, it is actually the movement of helium from a higher concentration to a lower concentration that causes the leakage. In short, the type of gas used does matter and it is the pressure difference that affects the movement of gases through the membrane.
mtrip
I believe I know the answer to this question; I need an expert to verify it for me.

I work for a company that makes latex balloons. The people that have been here for a long time insist that if one is putting a small (5" balloon) filled with helium inside a larger (30") balloon then one must fill the larger balloon with helium as well. I've asked why (repeatedly) and get specious arguments that the small balloons don't "leak" as much with helium on "both sides" of the membrane; some go so far as to say that (somehow) the helium in the larger balloon is going into the smaller balloons (I walk away from that one). I think this to be nonsense and in fact a tremendous waste of helium. I would go further and say that in fact all that you are doing is making sure that the larger balloon "leaks" as well, and will deflate at a much faster rate than if it was filled with air. I want to be certain that in fact the larger balloon should be inflated with air.

A postulation that I make, which may in fact not be very accurate, is that the pores in the smaller balloon, with helium "pushing outwards" would have larger molecules (mostly nitrogen) "pushing back" and blocking the pores. In my minds eye I can see this, but have no basis for it being close to fact.

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtrip said:
the small balloons don't "leak" as much with helium on "both sides" of the membrane
Yes.
mtrip said:
larger molecules (mostly nitrogen) "pushing back" and blocking the pores
No. Helium is going to move across any membrane from higher chemical potential (pressure in this case) to the side with lower chemical potential; the nitrogen is going to likewise move from higher partial pressure of nitrogen to the lower partial pressure side of the membrane, but it's a larger molecule and has a lower diffusion coefficient, so you don't notice it moving except over a long time period (inflate a balloon with nitrogen and leave it in a closet for a month).

Thanks for the reply. I understand the second paragraph, but not clear on the first. Assuming for the moment that the pressure inside the small balloon is the same as the pressure on the outside, it shouldn't matter what kind of gas it is, correct? It's really only the pressure difference that matters?

mtrip said:
shouldn't matter what kind of gas it is, correct
No. Chemical activities (approximately the partial pressures) of each gas involved will be the same on each side of the membrane at equilibrium, and when far from equilibrium (just after filling), will be moving from the side of high activity (partial pressure) to the side with lower partial pressure.

To expand on what Bystander said, the physical mechanism for helium leaving the smaller balloon is by diffusion through the membrane. Helium diffuses from the higher concentration region within the small balloon to the lower concentration region outside the small balloon, just as heat flows through a wall from the higher temperature region in the room to the lower temperature region outside the wall. If the temperatures on both sides of the wall are the same, no heat will flow.

Chet

1. What is a semi-permeable membrane?

A semi-permeable membrane is a type of material that allows certain molecules or substances to pass through while restricting the passage of others. It acts as a barrier between two substances, only allowing specific molecules to diffuse across it.

2. How does gas behave in a semi-permeable membrane?

Gas molecules in a semi-permeable membrane behave according to the laws of diffusion, which state that they will move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. This process continues until equilibrium is reached, meaning the concentration of gas is equal on both sides of the membrane.

3. What factors affect the rate of gas diffusion through a semi-permeable membrane?

The rate of gas diffusion through a semi-permeable membrane can be affected by several factors, including the size of the gas molecules, the temperature of the gas, and the surface area of the membrane. Additionally, the permeability of the membrane itself can also impact the rate of diffusion.

4. Can gas diffuse through a semi-permeable membrane in both directions?

Yes, gas can diffuse through a semi-permeable membrane in both directions. This means that gas molecules can move from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, as well as from an area of low concentration to an area of high concentration. The direction of diffusion depends on the concentration gradient and the type of gas.

5. What are some real-world applications of gas diffusion through semi-permeable membranes?

Gas diffusion through semi-permeable membranes is a fundamental process in many biological and industrial applications. For example, in the human body, oxygen and carbon dioxide diffuse through semi-permeable membranes in the lungs and cells, allowing for gas exchange and respiration. In industrial processes, gas separation and purification can be achieved through the use of semi-permeable membranes.