Gas pressure and expansion of gas

• Thread starter sycircle
  • Start date
In summary, gas pressure is the force exerted by a gas on its surroundings due to the collisions of gas particles with the walls of its container. It is affected by factors such as temperature, volume, and number of gas particles. As gas particles are heated, they gain kinetic energy and collide more frequently, increasing the pressure. Conversely, decreasing the volume of a gas will cause the particles to collide more often, increasing the pressure. This relationship between volume and pressure is known as Boyle's Law. Additionally, as the number of gas particles increases, the pressure also increases according to Avogadro's Law. Expansion of gas occurs when gas particles are allowed to move freely and spread out, increasing the volume and decreasing the pressure. This phenomenon
sycircle
Consider a gas in a cylinder with a piston. When heat is supplied to gas, there will be work done by the gas on the piston-- gas expands. My question is: as the gas expands, why would there be a decrease in pressure of the gas as the volume increases and the piston moves up? I know because Boyle's law says so but can someone please give me an answer of what is exactly happening please? Because I thought as gas particles gain energy from heat, they move faster hence hit the piston harder (i.e. a greater force exerted on the piston). If soshouldn't gas pressure increase as volume increases due to P=F/A?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to ask this question in the appropriate forum :)

Likes sycircle and berkeman