Gas Volume Calc: Find Out Rate of LPG Cylinder Reduction

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to determine the rate at which gas in an LPG cylinder reduces. Suggestions include dividing the mass of gas purchased by the time it takes to use it all, using scales to track the weight of the cylinder over time, and considering the energy consumption of the appliance and the rate at which LPG is delivered to it. It is also mentioned that the rate of reduction may vary depending on the number of burners in use.
abb12
Hi can anyone please suggest me how to find out the rate at which gas in LPG cylinder reduce.Initially before use gas cylinder will be full as the consumer start using the gas it starts reducing how do i calculate how much is left out and the rate at which it is getting reduced ,And also if a single burner is on gas starts reducing at a rate at the same time if two burners are simultaneously On gas starts reducing at a different rate.Can anyone kindly suggest me how do i find this out.Is there any formulas for finding this out .Please help me .

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
... take the mass of gas purchased and divide by the time to use all the gas.
You can also put the bottle on some scales and take a reading every 5mins or whatever. I suspect these would be better than calculations.

How you'd model it will depend on what you need to know for, but the rate that gas is delivered to the appliance is pretty much constant for the appliance (due to regulator).
http://www.elgas.co.nz/resources/elgas-blog/121-home-lpg-gas-regulators-and-fittings
... so 2 burners would use the LPG twice as fast etc.

Last edited:
... maybe read off the energy consumption off the label on the burner, and use 50MJ/kg for the LPG use?

1. How is the rate of LPG cylinder reduction calculated?

The rate of LPG cylinder reduction is calculated by dividing the initial volume of gas in the cylinder by the time it takes for the cylinder to reduce to its final volume. This calculation gives the average rate of reduction in volume per unit of time.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the rate of LPG cylinder reduction?

Calculating the rate of LPG cylinder reduction is important for monitoring the usage of gas and predicting when a cylinder will need to be replaced. It can also help to identify any potential leaks or issues with the cylinder.

3. How is the gas volume measured during the calculation?

The gas volume is typically measured using a gas flow meter or a displacement method. The gas flow meter measures the amount of gas passing through it, while the displacement method involves filling a container with the gas and then measuring its volume.

4. Can the rate of LPG cylinder reduction vary?

Yes, the rate of LPG cylinder reduction can vary depending on factors such as the type of gas, the temperature, and the amount of gas being used. It is important to take these factors into account when calculating the rate of reduction.

5. How can the rate of LPG cylinder reduction be optimized?

The rate of LPG cylinder reduction can be optimized by using energy-efficient appliances and ensuring that there are no leaks in the gas system. Regular maintenance and proper usage of gas can also help to maintain a steady and efficient rate of reduction.