How can an equation produce the iconic Gateway Arch using a catenary curve?

• Thread starter turnip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, to devise an equation for the Gateway Arch, you can use the catenary curve function y= a/2 (ex/a + e -x/a), where a is a non-zero constant. By selecting suitable axes, you can solve for a by setting the y value at x=0 to be equal to the desired height and the y value at x= +/-315 to be equal to the desired length. Then, you can flip the curve upside-down and shift it up or down to fit the specific requirements of the Gateway Arch.
turnip
A catenary curve can be described by the following function:

y= a/2 (ex/a + e -x/a)

where a is a non-zero constant
By selecting sutable axes, devise an equation that will produce the gateway arch.

Right next to the question is a graph of an arch that is 630 feet high (on the y axis) and 630 feet long (on the x axis).

I have no idea where to start. I was thinking that I could substitute the x and y values in of 630 to find the a value and thus the normal function (since its constant). But then why not just ask for that? Why go and say devise an equation, i don't follow.

Please, I would really appreciate someone getting me started on this!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
here's what i could get:

y = a(e^x/a + e^-x/a)/2

630 x2 = a(e^630/a + e^-630/a)

1260/a = e^630/a + e^-630/a

ln 1260/a = 630/a -630/a = 630 - 630/a

then that would mean 0/a which is infinity (iam getting the idea that isn't the answer)

where am i going wrong?

turnip said:
A catenary curve can be described by the following function:

y= a/2 (ex/a + e -x/a)

where a is a non-zero constant
By selecting sutable axes, devise an equation that will produce the gateway arch.

Right next to the question is a graph of an arch that is 630 feet high (on the y axis) and 630 feet long (on the x axis).

I have no idea where to start. I was thinking that I could substitute the x and y values in of 630 to find the a value and thus the normal function (since its constant). But then why not just ask for that? Why go and say devise an equation, i don't follow.

Please, I would really appreciate someone getting me started on this!
You aren't describing the graph sufficiently. What is the value of y when x= 0? You say it is "630 feet long (on the x axis)". Is the y value when x= 630 the same as when x= 0? And you say that it is "630 feet high (on the y axis). For what x is that? 630/2= 315?

I have just been given this exact question to complete as part of an assignment.

Any hints or ideas how to devise a formula for the Gateway Arch.

Im a bit stuck.

Thanks.

student01 said:
I have just been given this exact question to complete as part of an assignment.
You said there was a picture- we do not have the picture.

Any hints or ideas how to devise a formula for the Gateway Arch.
Not unless you can answer my questions.

Im a bit stuck.

Thanks.

Without the diagram we have to make a few assumptions but I'll bite.

Assume that the equation is valid over the full arch and that you can shift it up or down by an arbitrary amount. Initially I'll take "a" positive and make an upside-down arch, but you can flip it later by negating "a".

Clearly y() has even symmetry and it's min is at x=0.

The min is y(0) = a so to fit the requirements we want y(+/- 315) = a + 630.

So all you need to do is solve the following transcendental equation numerically for "a",

a + 630 = a/2 ( exp(-315/a) + exp(+315/a) )

Flip it upside-down and shift it up or down as required.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Gateway/exponential formula"?

The "Gateway/exponential formula" is a mathematical equation used to describe the growth of a system over time, assuming a constant rate of growth. It is often used in finance and economics to predict future values of investments or economic variables.

2. How is the "Gateway/exponential formula" calculated?

The formula is: A = P(1+r)^t, where A is the final amount, P is the initial amount, r is the rate of growth, and t is the time period. To calculate, simply plug in the values and solve for A.

3. What does the "Gateway/exponential formula" tell us?

The formula tells us how a system will grow over time, assuming a constant rate of growth. It can also be used to compare different rates of growth and determine which will result in a higher final value.

4. Can the "Gateway/exponential formula" be used for any type of growth?

No, the formula is specifically designed for exponential growth, where the rate of growth is proportional to the current value. It cannot be used for other types of growth, such as linear or logarithmic.

5. How can the "Gateway/exponential formula" be applied in real life?

The formula can be applied in various fields, such as finance, economics, and population growth. It can be used to predict the value of investments, estimate future economic trends, and project population growth. It can also be used to make decisions about resource allocation and planning for future growth.