Gauge pressure LONG AND HARD

In summary, the conversation is discussing a bourbon distillery plant where the product, consisting of 40% ethanol and 60% water, is pumped through a plumbing system with varying diameters and heights. The outlet speed of the product is determined by using the volume of a cylinder and the time it takes to fill it. The gauge pressure at the inlet of the pipe can be found using Bernoulli's Equation and the volume flow rate equation, without considering atmospheric pressure.
Tycho
In a bourbon distillery plant, the refined product, approximated as 40% by weight ethanol, 60% by weight water, is pumped through a plumbing system. At the OUTLET, where the inner diameter of the pipe is 5.08cm, the product fills an aluminum open cylinder (Diameter .442m, height 1.26m) in 98.9 seconds. At the inlet of this pipe the diameter is 7.62 cm and the pipe is 3.85m above the cylinder. the density of the product is 922kg/m^3

a) what is the outlet speed of the product?

b) what is the gauge pressure at the inlet of the pipe (diameter 7.62cm)

WHEW! okay, question a...
the outlet speed: it fills an aluminum open cylinder in 98.9 seconds. first step, find the volume of the cylinder? the volume of a cylinder is given by: pi*R^2*length, right? so: pi(.221^2)1.26m = .19m? my units are wrong, and the volume seems AWFULLY small.
lets roll with it, though...
it fills this volume in 98.9 seconds. (1.65 mins). Now, I have the volume filled, and the time it took. (should be .019L/1.65min) how do i get this into useable figures (like L/min)?

now for question b:
the gauge pressure...
it wants the gauge pressure at the inlet of the pipe. (diameter 7.62cm)
I can't do this until i get the outlet speed, correct? even if i had the outlet speed, I'm not sure how to obtain the gauge pressure?

i know this is really long and laborious... but I've been working pretty hard on this, and any help would be appreciated. thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use Bernoulli's Equation
And also this one : Volume Flow Rate = Area * Flow Speed ( Q = AV )
also Gauge Pressure = Abosolute Pressure - Atmospheric Pressure
at open surfaces gauge pressure = 0

ashfaque said:
You have to use Bernoulli's Equation
And also this one : Volume Flow Rate = Area * Flow Speed ( Q = AV )
also Gauge Pressure = Abosolute Pressure - Atmospheric Pressure
at open surfaces gauge pressure = 0

Bernoulli's eqn
okay, i started to write it out, but with all the subscripts and superscripts, it was looking NARSTY!

Any way you could start me out on it? I'm still drawing a blank.

btw, thanks for ALL of your assistance. you've been really nice and extremely helpful :smile:

3.85 m above of what?
from the top of the cylinder or from the bottom ...?
u have the figure right?

Last edited:
ashfaque said:
3.85 m above of what?
from the top of the cylinder or from the bottom ...?
u have the figure right?

It says it is 3.85m ABOVE the cylinder

tycho brache, check pm

sorry for not reading ur question carefully :)

Volume of Cylinder / Time = Volume flow rate(Q)
Q = AV
A = outlet cross sectional area of the pipe
V = the outlet speed of the product
--------that's part a ---------

thanks! I was missing Q. that solved THAT problem!
okay so gauge pressure is absolute pressure - atmospheric pressure. since atmospheric pressure should be approximately = to 1, then it is absolute pressure -1? how do you find absolute pressure?

whu says atmospheric pressure == 1?
it is 101325 Pa
:)
and for this problem u don't even need to think abt atmospheric pressure
at the atmosphere level the gauge presure will read zero

lol okay, so what next? gauge pressure will = absolute pressure?
what is the absolute pressure?

inlet
\
\
\
\
\outlet
| |
| |
| |
| |
~~~~

apply bernoulli's eqn at inlet and outlet
:)

1. What is gauge pressure and how is it different from absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the measurement of pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the absolute pressure of a system and the atmospheric pressure. Absolute pressure, on the other hand, is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is commonly used in pressure measurements, while absolute pressure is used in more precise calculations and in certain industries like aviation.

2. How is gauge pressure calculated?

Gauge pressure is calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure of a system. The formula for gauge pressure is P_gauge = P_absolute - P_atmosphere, where P_gauge is the gauge pressure, P_absolute is the absolute pressure, and P_atmosphere is the atmospheric pressure. This calculation can be done using various pressure measuring instruments, such as a manometer or a pressure transducer.

3. What are the units of measurement for gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is typically measured in units of psi (pounds per square inch), bar, or kPa (kilopascals). However, depending on the country or industry, other units such as atmospheres (atm) or inches of mercury (inHg) may also be used. It is important to always specify the unit of measurement when discussing gauge pressure to avoid confusion.

4. How is gauge pressure used in different industries?

Gauge pressure is used in a variety of industries, including engineering, manufacturing, and transportation. It is commonly used to measure pressure in pipes and tanks, as well as in hydraulic and pneumatic systems. In the oil and gas industry, gauge pressure is used to monitor pressure levels in pipelines and drilling operations. In the aviation industry, it is used to measure air pressure in airplane cabins and to ensure safe takeoffs and landings.

5. What are some common applications of gauge pressure in everyday life?

Gauge pressure is present in many everyday activities and devices. For example, a tire pressure gauge measures the pressure in car tires in psi or bar units. Gas grills also use gauge pressure to monitor the gas pressure and regulate the flame. In addition, blood pressure is measured in mmHg, which is a unit of gauge pressure. Other common applications include air compressors, water pressure regulators, and household water filters.