What is the Formula for Calculating Gauge Pressure of Tires?

In summary, the weight of a 1142-kg car is equally supported by four tires, each with a contact area of 96.5 cm^2. To determine the necessary gauge pressure for this setup, you can use the equation force = pressure * area.
furiousd

Homework Statement

The weight of a 1142-kg car is supported equally by the four tires, which are inflated to the same gauge pressure. What gauge pressure is required so the area of contact of each tire with the road is 96.5 cm^2?

W = 1142 kg
A = 96.5 cm^2

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

None.

Can someone lead me in the right direction for this question? Any hints? I've never seen a question like this before

Physics news on Phys.org
You can draw a free body diagram of the tyres(assumed massless) and represent the forces. You know it is in equilibrium.
The clincher: Pressure = Force*Area

Oh so sorry. Its force = pressure*area.

What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure refers to the pressure measured above atmospheric pressure. In the context of tires, it is the amount of air pressure inside the tire as compared to the surrounding air pressure.

Why is gauge pressure important for tires?

Gauge pressure is important for tires because it affects the overall performance and safety of the vehicle. Proper tire pressure helps to maintain stability, handling, and fuel efficiency while driving.

How do I check the gauge pressure of my tires?

The most accurate way to check the gauge pressure of your tires is by using a tire pressure gauge. Simply remove the valve cap, place the gauge over the valve stem, and press down. The gauge will provide a reading of the pressure in your tires.

What is the recommended gauge pressure for tires?

The recommended gauge pressure for tires varies depending on the vehicle and tire size. It is typically listed in the owner's manual or on a sticker located on the driver's side door jamb. It is important to follow the recommended pressure for optimal performance and safety.

How often should I check the gauge pressure of my tires?

It is recommended to check the gauge pressure of your tires at least once a month, or before any long trips. Changes in temperature and normal wear and tear can cause the pressure to fluctuate, so regular checks can help maintain proper pressure and prolong the life of your tires.