Gauss' Differential law intuition

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove Gauss's Law for electric fields using Gauss's Theorem. The main issue is understanding the role of epsilon (ε) in the equation. Several resources are suggested, including a derivation from Coulomb's Law. The use of the Divergence Theorem is also mentioned as a way to get from the integral form to the differential form. The conversation ends with a suggestion to come to terms with the Dirac Delta in order to understand the point charge in the equation.
THE HARLEQUIN
Hi ,
while trying to prove gauss law for electric field from gauss theorem i came up with this problem .
as Gauss' differential law expresses
∇⋅E = ρ/εο

what i get from that is ... the divergence of electric field which is the flux density is related to the charge density ...but i can't get the epsilon part ( like the physical relation of its with divergence ) .
i tried to prove it without using solely the understanding of divergence but failed .. but i believe its possible to come up with a logical explanation .
Any mathematical proof with physical explanation will be appreciated ( i don't want to see Gauss differential law proved from Gauss integral law btw :3 )
thanks in advance .

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like what you are after is a derivation of Gauss's Law from Coulomb's Law, since Coulomb's Law gives the official definition of ##\epsilon_0##. There's such a derivation here (you need to click on the 'show' link on that page).

andrewkirk said:
It sounds like what you are after is a derivation of Gauss's Law from Coulomb's Law, since Coulomb's Law gives the official definition of ##\epsilon_0##. There's such a derivation here (you need to click on the 'show' link on that page).
thanks andrewkirk ...
i have seen this already .. but the problem is i am not familiar with the sifting property ... think you have any simpler process of deriving this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
THE HARLEQUIN said:
i can't get the epsilon part

It's basically just a proportionality constant that comes in because of the units that you're using (SI a.k.a. MKS). In Gaussian units, the right-hand side is 4πρ.

THE HARLEQUIN said:
i am not familiar with the sifting property

Sifting property? :oldconfused:

hmmm i have derived a proof.. but don't know if its ok :/

btw it would be great if u could explain this "sum of divergence of the electric field throughout the volume is sum of the flux through the surfaces " with some animation or something. i know they will be the same but having trouble visualizing this. @jtbell

Attachments

• 1448136194605.jpg
    1448136194605.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 398
THE HARLEQUIN said:
hmmm i have derived a proof.. but don't know if its ok :/
I can see problems with it. Firstly, the divergence operator can't pass through the ##\frac{1}{r^3}## factor without justification, as ##r## depends on ##x, y, z##. Secondly, it's not clear what the role of ##r## is, as there are no words explaining the meaning of the various variables. ##\vec{r}## appears intended to be a location vector, but the location of what, relative to what?

It looks to me as though in the last step you may be essentially paralleling the Divergence Theorem, which is what's used to get from the integral form to the differential form.

The most natural way to prove Gauss's Law, it seems to me, is to use Coulomb's Law to prove the Integral Form of Gauss's Law and then use the Divergence theorem to prove the Differential Form from that.

If you don't want to go that way, I think you will have to come to terms with the Dirac Delta, because the charge is supposed to reside in a zero-dimensional point, which is exactly the sort of thing Dirac Delta is designed to cope with. The sifting property referred to in the proof is simply that, if ##a\leq c\leq b##, then:
$$\int_a^b f(x)\delta(x-c)dx=f(c)$$

Related to Gauss' Differential law intuition

1. What is Gauss' Differential law intuition?

Gauss' Differential law intuition is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the relationship between electric fields and electric charges. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. Who discovered Gauss' Differential law intuition?

Gauss' Differential law intuition was discovered by German mathematician and physicist Carl Friedrich Gauss in the early 19th century.

3. What is the significance of Gauss' Differential law intuition?

Gauss' Differential law intuition is significant because it provides a mathematical formula for calculating the electric field around a closed surface based on the distribution of electric charges within that surface. This law is a fundamental tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields in various systems.

4. How is Gauss' Differential law intuition related to Gauss' Law of Electricity?

Gauss' Differential law intuition is essentially a differential version of Gauss' Law of Electricity. While Gauss' Law states the relationship between electric fields and the total enclosed charge, Gauss' Differential law intuition relates the electric field to the charge density at a specific point in space.

5. How is Gauss' Differential law intuition applied in real-world situations?

Gauss' Differential law intuition is applied in a wide range of fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and even biology. It is used to study the behavior of electric fields in various systems, such as electronic circuits, lightning strikes, and the electric fields around living cells.