1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss Law Problem

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin, cylindrical copper shell of diameter ds = 6 cm has along its axis a thin metal wire of diameter dw = 7.05 × 10-3 cm. (as shown in the diagram below.) The wire and the shell carry equal and opposite charges of 5.90 × 10-9C/cm, distributed uniformly. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a point r = 3.30 mm, where r is measured radially from the center of the inner wire? What is the magnitude of the electric field at the surface of the wire?

2. Relevant equations
    I know this is refers to Gauss law.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first part, I know that I need to find the Electric Field E = the charge/ 2*pie*epilson zero, the radius. My prof said to take this answer in to the diameter, but I'm not sure what he means by that. The second part I have no idea how to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are trying to apply a result derived from Gauss' law without really understanding Gauss' law. Take a cylinder of radius r and length L centered on the wire with r between the radius of the wire and the shell. What's the charge contained in the cylinder? What's the electric flux through the cylinder (considering that the E field is constant through the outer surface of cylinder and the surface area of that outer surface is 2*pi*r)? What does Gauss' law say the relation between the two is?

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To give you more insight into this kind of problem, I recommend a book by W.H. Hayt called Engineering Electromagnetics, a very readable text. I bet you can find a copy over in Potter EC library. (If you are curious about this author. There is a wall display, dedicated to him at the Mem'l Union).

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    What is the magnitude of the electric field at the surface of the wire?

I know that the E field = 2*k*lambda/r

I am given lambda which I converted to m which I get 5.90E-7 C/m.
    I am given the diameter of the wire = 7.05E-3 cm or 0.705 m. The radius will be 0.3525 m. I found that the E field using this formula is 3.01E4 N/C. This is wrong. Is this even the right equation?

6. Jul 17, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful here! E-3 cm = E-5 m.

7. Jul 17, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see what equation you are using, but the unit conversions are not going so well. 7.05E-3cm is NOT 0.705m.

8. Jul 17, 2008 #7
    the answer I got was 10608.2/3.525E-5 = .030094 N/C, still incorrect

9. Jul 17, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not good. What numbers are you plugging into what equation?

10. Jul 17, 2008 #9
    I know that the E field = 2*k*lambda/r

11. Jul 17, 2008 #10
    2(8.99e9)(5.90e-11)/(3.525e-5) = 30094.1844

12. Jul 17, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You said before lambda=5.90E-7 C/m. That conversion was correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?