Surfaces with Same Gaussian Curvature: Hedi's Ques.

In summary, there are two non-isomorphic surfaces with the same Gaussian curvature, such as the flat torus and the flat Klein bottle. This applies in higher dimensions as well, with the number of non-homeomorphic compact flat surfaces without boundary being finite. Surfaces of different genus can also have constant curvature but are not homeomorphic. For positive Gauss curvature, the sphere and projective plane can both have constant curvature but are not isometric. It is possible for a map to preserve Gauss curvature without being an isometry, as seen in examples with curvature zero and nonzero.
hedipaldi
Hi,
are there two non isomorphic surfaces with the same gaussian curvature?
thank's
Hedi

Physics news on Phys.org
hedipaldi said:
Hi,
thank's
Hedi

what do you mean by non isomorphic?

i ment non isometric

hedipaldi said:
Hi,
thank's
Hedi

yes.

One can have surfaces of zero Gauss curvature that are not even homeomorphic. There are,for instance,the flat torus, the flat Klein bottle, the flat Mobius band, flat Euclidean space ,and the flat cylinder. The only compact flat surfaces without boundary are the flat torus and the flat Klein bottle.

This works in higher dimensions as well. In every dimension there are compact manifolds without boundary whose curvature tensor is identically zero that are not homeomorphic. In three dimensions there are compact flat Riemannian manifolds without boundary that are orientable, have the same holonomy groups, but do not have the same fundamental group. The number of non-homeomorphic compact flat Riemannian manifolds without boundary in any dimension is finite although it is not known in general how many.

Additionally, any surface of genus greater that 1 admits a metric of constant negative Gauss curvature. But surfaces of different genus are not homeomorphic.

One can also have surfaces that are homeomorphic and have constant Gauss curvature but are not isometric.A simple example would be two flat tori that have different areas.
More generally, take two flat tori that are not conformally equivalent. Since an isometry must be a conformal equivalence, they can not be isometric -I don't think.

The same things apply for surfaces of higher genus.

For positive Gauss curvature the answer is also no. I just realized that the sphere and the projective plane can be given metrics of constant positive Gauss curvature.

Last edited:
I assumed the question meant: is a diffeomorphism that preserves gauss curvature also an isometry?

mathwonk said:
I assumed the question meant: is a diffeomorphism that preserves gauss curvature also an isometry?

I didn't read it that way but any two flat tori are diffeomorphic. But you are right, your reading makes more sense. Mine maybe doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:

Mathwonk: I have confused myself and don't know what it means for a map to preserve Gauss curvature.

I thought of two possibilities:

1)There is a diffeomorphism so that the Gauss curvature at corresponding points is the same.

2) the pull back of the exterior derivative of the connection 1 form is the exterior derivative of the connection 1 form.

For possibility 1: The two spaces are both the open disc of radius pi/2 minus the origin.

metric 1: ds^2 = dr^2 + cos^2(r)d[itex]\theta[/itex]^2metric2: ds^2 = dr^2 + sin^2(r)d[itex]\theta[/itex]^2

The identity map is not an isometry but both metrics have constant curvature equal to 1.
I think this works.

For the case of curvature zero here are some more examples.

consider any metric on the plane of the form ds^2 = exp(2h)(dx^2 + dy^2) where h is a harmonic function.

The Gauss curvature is the Laplacian of h and so is always zero. Again the identity map is not an isometry for different h's.

For possibility 2, not sure. There is a differential equation.

Last edited:
Thank's a lot

1. What is the definition of surfaces with same Gaussian curvature?

Surfaces with same Gaussian curvature are surfaces that have the same curvature at all points on their surface. This means that if a circle is drawn on these surfaces, the curvature at every point on the circle will be the same.

2. What is the importance of surfaces with same Gaussian curvature in mathematics?

Surfaces with same Gaussian curvature are important because they have the same intrinsic geometry, which allows for certain properties and calculations to be easily determined. They also have applications in fields such as differential geometry and physics.

3. How are surfaces with same Gaussian curvature related to Hedi's question?

Hedi's question asks if there exists a surface with constant Gaussian curvature that is not a plane, sphere, or pseudosphere. Surfaces with same Gaussian curvature are related to this question because they all have a constant Gaussian curvature.

4. Can surfaces with same Gaussian curvature have different shapes?

Yes, surfaces with same Gaussian curvature can have different shapes. This is because the Gaussian curvature only describes the curvature at each point on the surface, not the overall shape of the surface.

5. Are there any real-life examples of surfaces with same Gaussian curvature?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of surfaces with same Gaussian curvature. Some examples include the surface of a sphere, the surface of a cylinder, and the surface of a cone. These surfaces all have a constant Gaussian curvature, making them examples of surfaces with same Gaussian curvature.