Identifying Inconsistent Systems of Linear Equations with Gaussian Elimination

In summary, the conversation is about a request for help with understanding the concept of inconsistent sets of linear equations and how Gaussian Elimination can be used to identify them. The question at hand is how to create your own inconsistent sets and what factors to consider. An example of two inconsistent equations is given as well.
Muzly
Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Due to that I can't find much of a connection (due to lack of inconsistent set of linear equations), and the fact that I'm unable to explain it properly, can someone please help me?

Here's the question:

If a system of linear equations is inconsistent, and Gaussian Elimination is applied to the augmented matrix, what will occur during the row reduction process that will indicate the inconsistency? Explain briefly.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always invent your own inconsistent sets of linear equations.

Where do I begin on that?

What should I take into account when creating my own inconsistent sets?

pivoting! lack of solution?

Muzly said:
Where do I begin on that?

What should I take into account when creating my own inconsistent sets?

For example:

x+y=1
x+y=2

Are these equations consistent? What do you get by Gauss elimination?

ehild

Related to Identifying Inconsistent Systems of Linear Equations with Gaussian Elimination

What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a method for solving systems of linear equations. It involves using row operations to reduce a system of equations into row-echelon form, making it easier to solve for the variables.

Why is Gaussian Elimination important?

Gaussian Elimination is important because it is a fundamental tool in linear algebra and is used in many applications, such as solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics. It also provides a systematic way to solve systems of equations that may otherwise be difficult to solve.

What are the steps involved in Gaussian Elimination?

The steps involved in Gaussian Elimination are:

1. Write the system of equations in matrix form.
  2. Use row operations to reduce the matrix into row-echelon form.
  3. Use back substitution to solve for the variables.

Can Gaussian Elimination be used to solve any system of linear equations?

Yes, Gaussian Elimination can be used to solve any system of linear equations, as long as the system is consistent (has at least one solution) and independent (the equations are not multiples of each other).

Are there any limitations to using Gaussian Elimination?

One limitation of Gaussian Elimination is that it can become computationally expensive for large systems of equations. Additionally, it may not work well for matrices with very small or very large numbers, as it involves division and multiplication operations. In these cases, other methods such as LU decomposition may be more efficient.