Gay marriage now legal in Iowa

• News
  • Thread starter Coin
  • Start date
In summary, gay marriage was legalized in Iowa in 2009 following a unanimous decision by the state's Supreme Court. This decision made Iowa the third state in the United States to allow same-sex couples to marry. The ruling was based on the principle of equal protection and recognition of same-sex marriages under the state's constitution. Despite some opposition, the legalization of gay marriage in Iowa has been seen as a significant step towards equality and acceptance for the LGBTQ+ community.
I would argue that what deems this a nonsense argument? (once again, so I don't get railed, this isn't my belief, I am playing devils advocate.) The nonsensical aspect of it is determined by what? Your beliefs? Social standards/norms? Who says that those are logical?

If this isn't your belief, why are you wasting time arguing it?

The nonsensical aspect of it is determined by any standard of modern ethics.

Very true. My argument was for opinions alone. Each person has an individual opinion (that to the individual isn't wrong because opinions can't be wrong). Certain opinions can be widely accepted and are "correct" but really opinion comes down to individual. That is my main point. The people who feel gay marriage is immoral feel that their opinion is logical and correct (and is not in fact wrong because it is theirs.) Is it widely accepted? possibly not. But is it wrong, No. I just don't feel opinions can be wrong.

What you're arguing here is exactly analogous to cultural relativism. I gave you a clear example why it doesn't work (ie, the stoning example).

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I did read several of your posts and they all seem to be saying that a group of people have the right to impose their beliefs on others when it is not an issue that causes harm to others. That kind of thinking is wrong and it's about time that we put an end to it.

Maybe I am terrible at getting my points across or am not communicating in an effecting way... I Never (or never attempted) to make a claim for one side of the other... I never once said (or implied, in my mind) that one group has the right to impose their beliefs on others... I was simply stating that i felt that someone unfairly insulted Dr. D. All i was doing was sticking up for the matter of personal opinion. I don't see how anything i said was countering any of my other statements. People were putting me in situations where i had to act as if i was against gay marriage so i could attempt to explain my definition of opinion.

My main point here for everyone to see: If someone has a personal opinion, i feel that it is not wrong because to me an opinion is how you feel about something. Although it might not be socially accepted and/or thought of as logical by others, its their opinion and for whatever reason, that is how they feel on the issue. I don't feel that issues should be determined by opinion/emotion (especially legal ones). But if someone wants to have an opinion of something, then it is their opinion...

siddharth said:
If this isn't your belief, why are you wasting time arguing it?

The nonsensical aspect of it is determined by any standard of modern ethics.

Im not arguing anything... I am arguing what i believe in, ae that people have their own opinions, and to an individual, their opinion is not in fact wrong because it is their thoughts determined by their own personal logic... I wasnt arguing anything involving gay marriage, i chimed into originally protect D's right to have an opinion (which apparently was a really bad idea).

Hootenanny said:
Whether the bible it "true" is irrelevant here. My point is that the basis of a Christian's argument boils down to "because I read it in a book", which is not a logical argument.

Again, you use the phrase "their logic". There is no such thing as "their logic", "our logic" or "my logic". Logic is an absolute: "Logic is the study of the principles of valid demonstration and inference".

I would like to emphasise at this point that I am not singling out the Christian faith for any reason in particular, I am doing so purely as an example. I do not intend to offend any Christians or followers of other faiths.

I understand. All i was saying is was that i would see the reason they would believe it would be because they feel that the things in the bible are in fact correct and true, so they would believe it. I would say that the main reason wasnt just because "They read it in a book" but because they genuinely believe its fact.

Time out!

Posts are going off-topic and some are getting too personal.