Fixing Computer Problems: MSN & Desktop Backgrounds

In summary, the user is experiencing issues with their computer after their internet connection was down for 3 months. They are unable to sign into MSN and set a desktop background. It is possible that they have a virus or someone has taken over their MSN account. They may need to contact MSN Help and create a new account.
Vinceoe
General computing ?

On my computer the internet connection has been down for 3 months and now its been fixed I can't sign into MSN and I can't set a desk top back ground either.

Does anyone know how I can sort these problems out??

Computer science news on Phys.org

That is far too vague for anyone to give an accurate diagnosis.

The internet being down isn't going to stop you setting a desktop background.

It sounds like you've had some form of virus - some take over various controls and prevent you changing the background etc.

If you can't sign into MSN, it's possible that someone else took over your MSN account and changed the password. This exact thing happened to my wife's hotmail account. We contacted MSN Help and were able to set things right, although it took a few times. Each time my wife changed her password, the miscreant was able to change it again.

If this is your problem, here's a link that might help:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-sign-in-help-center?wa=wsignin1.0

Your internet has been down for 3 months?
Doesn't sound like an ISP problem, rather a subscriber issue.
After some set period of inactivity(it used to be 30 days, now I think it's 90) your original MSN account is considered "inactive" and thus deleted.

You will need to sign-up with a new account.

I would suggest troubleshooting the issue by first checking the internet connection to ensure it is stable and functioning properly. If the connection is still not working, it may be helpful to contact your internet service provider for assistance. Additionally, for the MSN login issue, it could be related to incorrect login credentials or a potential issue with the MSN server. It may be helpful to try resetting your password or contacting MSN support for further assistance. For the desktop background issue, it could be a software or system setting issue. I would recommend checking the display settings on your computer and trying to reset the background from there. If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with a computer technician for further assistance.

FAQ: Fixing Computer Problems: MSN & Desktop Backgrounds

1. How can I fix issues with MSN on my computer?

To fix issues with MSN on your computer, first try restarting your computer and then checking your internet connection. If the problem persists, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. You can also try updating your browser or using a different browser. If none of these solutions work, you may need to contact MSN customer support for further assistance.

2. Why is my MSN homepage not loading properly?

There could be several reasons why your MSN homepage is not loading properly. It could be due to a slow internet connection, compatibility issues with your browser, or an outdated version of MSN. Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, updating your browser, or using a different browser. If the issue persists, contact MSN customer support for further assistance.

3. How do I change my desktop background on a Windows computer?

To change your desktop background on a Windows computer, right-click on your desktop and select "Personalize" from the menu. In the Personalization window, click on "Background" and choose the desired image from the drop-down menu. You can also select a solid color or a slideshow of images. Once you have made your selection, click "Save" to set it as your new desktop background.

4. Why won't my desktop background stay saved?

If your desktop background won't stay saved, it could be due to a few reasons. First, make sure that you have selected the correct image or color and clicked "Save" in the Personalization window. If this doesn't work, try restarting your computer and then setting the background again. It's also possible that a third-party software or virus is interfering with your settings, so run a virus scan to check for any issues.

5. How can I fix a stretched or distorted desktop background?

If your desktop background is stretched or distorted, it could be due to a mismatch between the image size and your screen resolution. To fix this, try using an image with a higher resolution or adjusting your screen resolution to match the image. You can also try selecting a different image size or using a different image format, such as PNG or JPEG. If the issue persists, try updating your graphics card drivers or restarting your computer.