1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Energy conservation question

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    This isn't really a homework question, so I'm hoping I can just get a straight answer from someone (although it is related to questions).

I realize that you can choose U = 0 anywhere you want in a gravity-related problem, ideally choosing a place where it is easiest to manipulate mgy values.

However, in a problem where both a spring force and gravity are of concern (i.e. where a spring is at an angle or hanging vertically), can you choose two different U = 0 positions?

That is, can you choose the lowest point to be Ugrav = 0 and the point where the spring is relaxed to be Uspring = 0, even if the two places are not the same y value? Or, do both PE's have to align?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, choose the spring U to be zero when relaxed and the gravitational energy zero height entirely separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook