Light Deflection Formula: Impact Parameter & Angle Shift

In summary, you are looking for a formula for the angle shift experienced by a light ray in presence of a gravitational field in terms of the impact parameter. You are not interested in the Schwarzschild metric or the weak field limit.
andresB
TL;DR Summary
looking for general formulas for the angle shift in terms of the impact parameter.
I know the basics of GR, but I'm far from an expert. I'm interested in the general formula for the angle shift experienced by a light ray in presence of a gravitational field. Light bending is topic covered in many books, of course, however the usual treatments would just not do for my purposes.

Most of the books I have looked at are just interested in the Schwarzschild metric, and take it from granted from the very beginning. The most general treatment I've found is in Weinberg chapter 8 where most of the treatment is metric agnostic and Schwarzschild is only assumed at the very end. However, the angle shift formula given by Weinberg is in terms of the "distance of closest approach", and that's not useful to me.

I'm looking for a general formula that is given in terms of the impact parameter.

Physics news on Phys.org
andresB said:
Summary:: looking for general formulas for the angle shift in terms of the impact parameter.

I'm interested in the general formula for the angle shift experienced by a light ray in presence of a gravitational field.
And the one in the Wiki article isn't general enough?

Mister T said:
And the one in the Wiki article isn't general enough?

Hi. Are you talking about the gravitational lens page? if that's the case then no. The page give the end result of the calculation for the Schwarzschild metric, and I need the formula for an arbitrary (spherically symmetric) metric.

To be more clear, this is the formula given in Weinberg.

1617330292522.png
I need something like Eq (8.5.6) but in terms of the impact parameter ##b## and not the "distance of closest approach" ##r_{0}##. Or, better yet, assuming I already have ##\Delta\phi## in terms of ##r_{0}## how to change it to be a function of ##b##.

andresB said:
I need the formula for an arbitrary (spherically symmetric) metric.

The Schwarzschild metric is the only spherically symmetric vacuum metric, by Birkhoff's theorem, so it's the only spherically symmetric metric you need to worry about if you're looking at light propagation through a vacuum.

If you're looking at light propagation through materials, any gravitational effects are going to be extremely tiny compared to refraction and other optical effects caused by the material.

andresB said:
I need something like Eq (8.5.6) but in terms of the impact parameter ##b## and not the "distance of closest approach" ##r_{0}##.

##r_0## is the impact parameter in the weak field limit. I haven't looked at Weinberg in quite a while, but IIRC he is working in the weak field limit in the derivation you refer to.

The real issue is that ##r_0## is the minimum radial coordinate, which is not the same as a radial proper distance. But in the weak field limit, the difference is negligible.

PeterDonis said:
If you're looking at light propagation through materials, any gravitational effects are going to be extremely tiny compared to refraction and other optical effects caused by the material.

There are a couple of cases of physical interest where the other optical effects are not overwhelming, such as lensing by an extended dark matter halo or a very weakly interacting massless particle moving through a spherical object. In these situations, it does make sense to think about deflection in a non-Schwarzschild spacetime.

andresB said:
Or, better yet, assuming I already have Δϕ in terms of r0 how to change it to be a function of b.

You can find ##b## in terms of ##r_0## as they are intimately related. If you know ##r_0## then you know the angular momentum and if you know the angular momentum you know ##b##.

Orodruin said:
There are a couple of cases of physical interest where the other optical effects are not overwhelming, such as lensing by an extended dark matter halo or a very weakly interacting massless particle moving through a spherical object. In these situations, it does make sense to think about deflection in a non-Schwarzschild spacetime.

Or situations in analogue gravity.
Orodruin said:
You can find ##b## in terms of ##r_0## as they are intimately related. If you know ##r_0## then you know the angular momentum and if you know the angular momentum you know ##b##.

Ok. I'll try to relate the two quantities, it might be the easiest path.

PeterDonis said:
##r_0## is the impact parameter in the weak field limit. I haven't looked at Weinberg in quite a while, but IIRC he is working in the weak field limit in the derivation you refer to.

The real issue is that ##r_0## is the minimum radial coordinate, which is not the same as a radial proper distance. But in the weak field limit, the difference is negligible.

You are correct, for a Schwarzschild the two quantities are almost the same in a weak field situation. It might be the same for the metrics I'm considering, though I'll have to check.

1. What is the Light Deflection Formula?

The Light Deflection Formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of deflection or bending of light rays as they pass near massive objects, such as stars or planets. It takes into account the impact parameter and the angle shift of the light ray.

2. How is the Impact Parameter defined in the Light Deflection Formula?

The Impact Parameter is the perpendicular distance between the light ray and the center of the massive object. It is a crucial component of the Light Deflection Formula as it determines the strength of the gravitational pull on the light ray.

3. What is the Angle Shift in the Light Deflection Formula?

The Angle Shift is the change in direction of the light ray after passing near a massive object. It is caused by the gravitational pull of the object, which bends the path of the light ray.

4. How is the Light Deflection Formula used in scientific research?

The Light Deflection Formula is used in various fields of science, such as astronomy and physics, to study the effects of gravity on light. It has been used to confirm Einstein's theory of general relativity and to measure the mass of celestial objects.

5. Can the Light Deflection Formula be applied to everyday situations?

While the Light Deflection Formula is primarily used in scientific research, its principles can be observed in everyday situations. For example, the bending of light as it passes through a glass of water or the distortion of light in a mirage are both caused by the same phenomenon as described by the Light Deflection Formula.