General help for trigonemtric u-substitution

• Thread starter togame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of u-substitution in solving problems involving trigonometric functions in calculus 2. The speaker is having difficulty starting problems with trig functions and asks if they need to rewrite the terms or if they can just use u=sec(x). The responder suggests trying possible substitutions and using a table of derivatives to solve the problem. They also stress that substitution is algebraic and can be applied to the dx and du terms.
togame
I'm currently in calculus 2 and we are learning about u-substitution and I am having a little bit of difficulty seeing how to start problems that involve trig functions. I know sometimes I can rewrite them to help suit my needs but this isn't always evident. I have for example the indefinite integral of sec^3(X)tan(x) and am pretty lost where to start something like this. Would I need to rewrite these terms or I can I just use u=sec(x)? If anyone knows of a way to go about these problems in general I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of u and u itself have to get rid of all other terms with x in it, or you'll have an integral in terms of u and x. In this situation, you have a few possibilities. If you are not familiar with the derivatives to see the answer instantly, just iterate through and find it:
u = x
u = sec(x)
u = sec^2(x)
u = sec^3(x)
u = tan(x)
u = tan(x)sec(x)
u = tan(x)sec^2(x)
u = tan(x)sec^3(x)

Just start with the ones that are straight looks into a table of derivatives like tan(x), sec^2(x), etc.

Remember, substitution is algebraic substitution, even for the dx and du stuff. I think pointing this out demystifies it for students having trouble. So if you have
[tex] \int f(x)dx = \int g(x)h(x)dx[/tex]
and you can make a substitution that writes g(x) into G(u) such that
[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = h(x) \rightarrow du = h(x)dx[/tex]
then
[tex] \int G(u) du[/tex]
So you actually replace "h(x)dx" with "du"

I mean, this is just the definition, but I want to really stress you are simply saying du equals that stuff, so you replace it with du. We are treating du and dx like variables (multiplying both sides by dx to find what du equals).

Last edited:

1. What is trigonometric u-substitution?

Trigonometric u-substitution is a method used to solve integrals involving trigonometric functions by substituting a new variable in place of the original variable. This new variable is usually a trigonometric function of the original variable, hence the term "trigonometric u-substitution".

2. When is trigonometric u-substitution used?

Trigonometric u-substitution is typically used when the integral involves a product of trigonometric functions, or when the integral contains a function raised to a power that is not easily simplified. It can also be used when the integral involves a combination of trigonometric and algebraic functions.

3. How does trigonometric u-substitution work?

To use trigonometric u-substitution, the first step is to identify the trigonometric function that can be substituted for the original variable. This is usually done by looking for a function and its derivative within the integral. The next step is to substitute this function for u and replace all instances of the original variable with u. Finally, the integral can be solved using basic integration rules and the result can be rewritten in terms of the original variable.

4. What are the benefits of using trigonometric u-substitution?

Trigonometric u-substitution can simplify complicated integrals involving trigonometric functions, making them easier to solve. It also allows for the use of basic integration rules that may not have been applicable to the original integral. In some cases, it can also make the integral easier to recognize and solve using other techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using trigonometric u-substitution?

While trigonometric u-substitution can be a useful method for solving integrals, it is not always applicable. It works best when the integral involves trigonometric functions or a combination of trigonometric and algebraic functions. In some cases, other integration techniques may be more effective. It is also important to be cautious when choosing the substitution function, as it may not always lead to a simpler integral.