Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General inverses of trigonometry function

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    I find this statement confusing from Wikipedia:

[tex]sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=arcsin(x)+2k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z[/tex]

Is this statement false? "arcsin(x)" gives the principal value:[[itex]\frac{-\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]]. Therefore,specifically, "arcsin(x)" gives [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}\text{ but not}\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex].

My textbook:

[tex]sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=(-1)^{k}arcsin(x)+k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z[/tex]

I think my textbook's statement is more "complete".Or are the 2 statements both true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes your textbook is giving all the solutions, while wikipedia is missing about half of the possible solutions. Take [tex]y=2\pi/3[/tex] for example, wikipedia won't return that solution with its formula while the other will.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Look more closely at your text book. Most texts use "Arcsin(x)" to mean the "principal value" of arcsin(x)- the value y such that sin(y)= x for [itex]0\le y< \pi[/itex].

Notice the difference? The CAPITALIZED A means the principal value, the small a arcsine, the more general value.

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4
    Regarding capilatization conventions, Berkey/Blanchard: Calculus, 3rd ed. 1992, write, "Be careful to note that Tan-1 x means the inverse of the function y = Tan x , not (tan x)-1." Where Tan is the "restricted tangent function" with domain (-pi/2, pi/2) and range (-infinity, infinity). "The alternatives y = Arc tan x and y = arctan x are also frequently used to represent y = Tan-1 x." Even so, they call Tan-1, the "inverse tangent function", and Sin-1 the "inverse sine function" (for -1 <or= x <or= 1 and -pi/2 <or=y <or= pi/2, the inverse sine function is defined by y = Sin-1 x iff x = sin y). So for them, at least, it seems that arc- and Arc are interchangeable.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook