General loading, shear and moment relationships

In summary, the C-section beam of 300mm, Sy = 1000N, has bending stresses 100mm from the point of load. The force causes compression on top and tension on the bottom, hence the bottom stresses should be +ve and the top stresses -ve. However, the bending moment caused by Sy in this case is +ve Mx (moment in the x-axis).
emRage
img_s_and_bm_4_404_180_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to get my head around the convention of internal moments and shear forces of a loaded beam.

I just can't seem to make any sense of why F is facing upwards and F+dF is facing downwards. It's driving me absolutely insane. Surely both of them will be facing upwards to cancel out wdx?

Please help =/

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi emRage! :smile:
emRage said:
I just can't seem to make any sense of why F is facing upwards and F+dF is facing downwards. It's driving me absolutely insane. Surely both of them will be facing upwards to cancel out wdx?

No, the F upward shown on the left of the section matches the F downward (not shown) on the right of the next section to the left (Newton's third law!).

And the next section to the right will similarly have an F + dF upward on its left (not shown), and that matches the F + dF downward shown.

To look at it another way …

the wdx is a very small amount, and tends to zero as dx tends to zero.

It must therefore be "cancelled" by an equally very small amount …

and that isn't going to be the rather large F + F + dF, is it? :wink:

Thank you tiny-tim,

Now my next question is:

The arrows for F and F+dF are facing that way to cancel out the hidden F and F+dF. Why do the (visible) arrows have to face that particular direction? Because if I were to change the direction they are facing, that would change the shear force and bending moment equilibrium eqtns am I correct?

Attachments

• un2.JPG
    un2.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 377
emRage said:
Why do the (visible) arrows have to face that particular direction?

They don't have to.

If you put the arrows that way round, and then solve the equations, you'll find that F will come out negative.

In some problems, it isn't at all obvious which way up they should be, so you just have to make a guess, and if the guess turns out wrong it doesn't matter … you'll have, say, -3N up instead of 3N down … same thing. :smile:

Thanks for ur help, Ok so here's the next question,

C-section beam of 300mm , Sy = 1000N
Finding bending stresses 100mm from the point of load...The force causes compression on top and tension on the bottom hence bottom stresses should be +ve and top stresses -ve.

100mm from the point of load would mean a bending moment of 1000x100 = 100000Nmm in the positive sense about x-axis.

The bending moment caused by Sy in this case is +ve Mx (moment in the x-axis). Am I correct?

I'm getting positive values at the top corners and negative at the bottom corners for bending stress which is clearly wrong!

Regards.

Attachments

• un4.JPG
    un4.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 358
emRage said:
Thanks for ur help, Ok so here's the next question,.

uh-uh, can you please start a new thread?

(and can you make it clear where the point of application of the force is?)

Then other members will come in and help …

all this stress and moment is getting a bit out of my depth. :redface:

1. What are general loading, shear, and moment relationships?

General loading, shear, and moment relationships refer to the relationships between external forces (loading), internal forces (shear), and bending forces (moment) in a structural system. These relationships are essential in understanding the overall behavior of a structure under different types of loading.

2. How do loading, shear, and moment affect structural stability?

Loading, shear, and moment all play a significant role in determining the structural stability of a system. If the loading is too great, it can cause excessive shear and moment forces, which can lead to structural failure. On the other hand, if the loading is properly distributed, it can help to evenly distribute shear and moment forces, thereby improving structural stability.

3. What is the difference between shear and moment forces?

Shear forces are parallel forces that act in opposite directions and cause a structural element to slide or shear along its length. Moment forces, on the other hand, are twisting forces that cause a structural element to rotate about a fixed point. While shear forces are typically present in all structures, moment forces are only present in structures with bending elements.

4. How do I calculate shear and moment forces in a structural system?

Shear and moment forces can be calculated using various analytical methods, such as the method of sections, the method of joints, or the moment distribution method. These methods involve breaking down a structure into smaller, more manageable sections and analyzing the forces acting on each section using equations of equilibrium and compatibility.

5. How can I use general loading, shear, and moment relationships in practical applications?

General loading, shear, and moment relationships are essential in designing and analyzing various structural systems, such as buildings, bridges, and machines. Engineers use these relationships to ensure that a structure can withstand different types of loading and remain stable and safe. They are also used in the design of structural elements, such as beams and columns, to ensure they can withstand the expected loading and maintain structural integrity.