Understanding Phase Shift in Trigonometric Functions

The phase shift is determined by the value of phi. If phi is positive, the shift is to the right, and if phi is negative, the shift is to the left. In the first example, phi is equal to pi/2, which is positive, so the shift is to the right. In the second example, phi is also pi/2, but since it is in the form of -pi/2, it becomes negative and the shift is to the left. It may seem confusing, but it follows the rules of factoring in math.
smashbrohamme
Find the phase shift of a function.

Y=-5sin(x-pie/2)

The Phase shift is (pie/2)/1 which equals to pie/2. The correct answer is units to the right though..which is where I need clarification on.

My book said if phi is less than 0, it is too the left.. being -pie/2 wouldn't this indicate to the left?

Another example.

y=4cos(x+pie/2) once again phase shift is pie/2...but it is units to the left...units to left indicates phi...which is pie in this case..is negative...how is that possible?

It is easy to remember if it has a plus sign..it is units to the left...
negative sign ends up being units to the right...I just don't understand and if I don't truly understand than I won't remember it long term.

Thanks for your help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
smashbrohamme said:
Find the phase shift of a function.

Y=-5sin(x-pie/2)

The Phase shift is (pie/2)/1 which equals to pie/2. The correct answer is units to the right though..which is where I need clarification on.

My book said if phi is less than 0, it is too the left.. being -pie/2 wouldn't this indicate to the left?

Another example.

y=4cos(x+pie/2) once again phase shift is pie/2...but it is units to the left...units to left indicates phi...which is pie in this case..is negative...how is that possible?

It is easy to remember if it has a plus sign..it is units to the left...
negative sign ends up being units to the right...I just don't understand and if I don't truly understand than I won't remember it long term.

Thanks for your help.
Does your book say something like:
For
[itex]\sin(x-\phi)\,,[/itex]​
if [itex]\phi[/itex] is positive then the shift is to the right,

if [itex]\phi[/itex] is negative then the shift is to the left .​

?

If that's the case, then your [itex]\phi[/itex] is π/2, which is positive.

ah, so they are factoring in that your equation sin(w-phi) can make two negatives into a positive...

smashbrohamme said:
ah, so they are factoring in that your equation sin(w-phi) can make two negatives into a positive...

Yes.

1. What is a general phase shift question?

A general phase shift question is a type of scientific question that involves understanding how a system changes over time. It typically involves studying the relationship between two variables and how they vary together.

2. How do you determine the phase shift in a system?

The phase shift in a system can be determined by analyzing the relationship between two variables and identifying any changes or shifts in their patterns or behaviors over time. This can be done through various mathematical and statistical techniques, such as Fourier analysis or wavelet analysis.

3. What are some common examples of phase shift in science?

Phase shift can be observed in various natural and physical phenomena, such as the changing seasons, the growth and development of organisms, the oscillation of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the movement of tides.

4. How is phase shift important in scientific research?

Phase shift is important in scientific research because it helps us understand how systems and processes change over time. By identifying and analyzing phase shifts, we can gain insights into the underlying mechanisms and patterns of various phenomena, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in different fields of science.

5. Can phase shift be controlled or manipulated in experiments?

In some cases, phase shift can be controlled or manipulated in experiments by altering certain variables or parameters. However, this may not always be possible or ethical, and in many cases, phase shift occurs naturally and cannot be controlled. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the ethical implications of manipulating phase shift in their experiments.