Top Recommended GRE Prep Books for General and Physics Exams

In summary, the conversation discussed recommended GRE prep books that do not push gimmicks for taking the test, and the speaker's experience with using different methods for taking the ACT and the results they got. They also asked for advice on preparing for the physics GRE and the speaker suggested using old copies of university physics and modern physics textbooks to work through problems and practicing with a random selection of problems. They also mentioned that studying for the verbal and writing sections of the general GRE may not be necessary for hard science majors, but suggested buying a practice book for familiarization with the layout.
wotanub
The first thing I want to ask for is some recommended GRE prep books. It would help if you'd recommend books that don't try to push a gimmick way of taking the test. I notice Kaplan and Princeton Review like to do this. "Oh the test is designed to make you fail and using our method you can beat the tricks of the evil ETS!" Yeah, that's what they said when I took the ACT. I tried it their way with all the gimmicks and such - got a 26 then 27. Tried it my way of just working though the test the obvious way - got a 33.

Also, what is a good way to prepare for the physics GRE? There is just so much material on it. I took all the classes, but I don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
wotanub said:
The first thing I want to ask for is some recommended GRE prep books. It would help if you'd recommend books that don't try to push a gimmick way of taking the test. I notice Kaplan and Princeton Review like to do this. "Oh the test is designed to make you fail and using our method you can beat the tricks of the evil ETS!" Yeah, that's what they said when I took the ACT. I tried it their way with all the gimmicks and such - got a 26 then 27. Tried it my way of just working though the test the obvious way - got a 33.

Also, what is a good way to prepare for the physics GRE? There is just so much material on it. I took all the classes, but I don't know where to start.
Regardless of what those prep books say about tricks and such, just having a decent set of practice tests to work through can be a big help. That's what helped me on the physics GRE, it allowed me to see which areas I was weak in and brush up on those.

Have you looked at the ETS website for GRE study materials:

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare

EDIT:
They also have a 100-question practice test for physics:

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics

I would recommend buying an old copy (something around $5 on half/amazon) of university physics by young and freedman and work through the problems in all sections.

I would do the same with an old copy of modern physics by serway, moses, and moyer.

Just do problems out of the books randomly so you get a constant variety of topics. Maybe you could program something simple (in whatever language you can code) that selects random problems for you so you get a very good random jumble like you'll see on the exam ... it should take about 30 min max to write since you'll have to program in the chapter #s and how many problems in each section/whatever. You could even cross them off in the book (why not, the books were super cheap) after you finish them.

These two texts combined together will cover like 95% of what is on the Physics GRE. The content of the books isn't too difficult, and most of the problems are able to be solved in a few minutes, which is the same difficulty level and pace you'll have to keep up during the exam ... but with multiple choice.

as for the normal GRE, umm you really shouldn't have to prep for the quantitative section. i really doubt any hard science major is going to get anything less than the top 10% of test takers. I doubt any program will really care how you did on the verbal and writing, so studying for that stuff might be a waste of your time, that's my opinion at least. Maybe buy a cheap ($10-15) book that has a few practice tests if you REALLY want, just so you're not surprised by the layout and whatever.

The revised verbal section isn't easy to quickly increase your score like it used to be. before the change, you could memorize a list of 250 GRE words and increase your score by 100 points (out of a 600 range), but now memorizing those same words might get you a 2 point increase (out of a range of 70 now i think). Anyway, I wouldn't bother studying for the general GRE unless English isn't your primary language.

1. What is the purpose of the General/Physics GRE exam?

The General/Physics GRE exam is used by graduate programs in physics and related fields to assess a student's readiness for graduate-level coursework. It measures a student's knowledge of basic physics concepts, critical thinking skills, and ability to apply mathematical principles to solve problems.

2. What topics are covered on the General/Physics GRE?

The General/Physics GRE covers a range of topics including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. It also includes questions on mathematical methods and laboratory techniques commonly used in physics research.

3. How should I prepare for the General/Physics GRE?

Preparation for the General/Physics GRE should include a review of fundamental physics concepts, practice solving problems using mathematical equations, and familiarity with laboratory techniques. Many students also find it helpful to take practice exams and review materials from previous exams to get a sense of the types of questions that may be asked.

4. Can I use a calculator on the General/Physics GRE?

No, calculators are not allowed on the General/Physics GRE. However, you will be provided with a formula sheet and are expected to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical principles and equations.

5. How is the General/Physics GRE scored?

The General/Physics GRE is scored on a scale from 200-990, with 200 being the lowest possible score and 990 being the highest. The average score for test-takers is around 500. The score is based on the number of questions answered correctly, with no penalty for incorrect answers. The percentile rank is also provided, which indicates how a student's score compares to other test-takers.