General relativity -- Proof of energy measured by observer

In summary: The factor of ##\gamma## is unnecessary in this case. I apologize for the confusion. In summary, the energy measured by an observer with velocity ##u^\mu## of an object with momentum ##p^\mu## is given by the inner product of their four-momenta, which is invariant in any reference frame. This can be simplified in the observer's LIRF to ##E##, as the spatial components of the four-velocity are zero in this frame.
Jonsson
I want to prove that ##E = -g_{\mu \nu}u^\mu p^\nu## is the energy measured by an observer with velocity ##u^\mu## of an object with momentum ##p^\mu##. My reasoning is that in special relativity we know that ##\gamma m = E##. We can transform to coordinates where ##u'^\mu = (1,\vec{0})##. Since the measurement is happening locally to the observer, the space appears flat, and ##g = \eta## and hence ##dt/d\tau = \gamma##.
$$
-g_{\mu \nu}u^\mu p^\nu = -\eta_{\mu \nu}u'^\mu p'^\nu =
-(1,\vec{0})\cdot(-\gamma m, \gamma \vec{v}) = \gamma m = E
$$
My question. Is this kind of reasoning legal? Is it enough to argue that since the measurement happens locally, we can take the space to be flat? The reason I ask is because it would surprise me since pretty much any kind of measurement I can think of is a local concept.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jonsson said:
I want to prove that ##E = -g_{\mu \nu}u^\mu p^\nu## is the energy measured by an observer with velocity ##u^\mu## of an object with momentum ##p^\mu##. My reasoning is that in special relativity we know that $\gamma m = E$. We can transform to coordinates where ##u'^\mu = (1,\vec{0})##. Since the measurement is happening locally to the observer, the space appears flat, and ##g = \eta## and hence ##dt/d\tau = \gamma##.
$$
-(1,\vec{0})\cdot(-\gamma m, \gamma \vec{v}) = \gamma m = E
$$
My question. Is this kind of reasoning legal? Is it enough to argue that since the measurement happens locally, we can take the space to be flat? The reason I ask is because it would surprise me since pretty much any kind of measurement I can think of is a local concept.

I think that's reasonable, although I don't think you need to introduce ##\gamma## into the equation. In the observer's LIRF, the energy of a particle is the first component of its four-velocity. In this LIRF, the observer's four-velocity is, as you say, ##(1, \vec{0})##. Therefore, the measured energy is the inner product of these two four velocities.

The inner product is coordinate-independent (assuming that it is defined using the metric appropriate to the coordinates in each case), hence the result follows.

Likes Jonsson
Thanks!

PeroK said:
I don't think you need to introduce ##\gamma## into the equation.

You do if you want to get the right answer. :wink:

PeroK said:
In the observer's LIRF, the energy of a particle is the first component of its four-velocity

Not quite; it's the first component of its 4-momentum. That's where the factor of ##m## in the correct answer ##\gamma m## comes from. If it were the first component of the object's 4-velocity, that would just be ##\gamma##, with no factor of ##m##.

Jonsson said:
Is it enough to argue that since the measurement happens locally, we can take the space to be flat?

Yes. (With the proviso that it's spacetime that we take to be flat, not space.)

Jonsson said:
The reason I ask is because it would surprise me since pretty much any kind of measurement I can think of is a local concept.

Plenty of quantities of interest do not involve purely local measurements. For example, the redshift of distant objects due to the expansion of the universe.

PeterDonis said:

What do you mean? Is it wrong to use the gamma? I was taught that we obtain GR locally. Thanks

Jonsson said:
Is it wrong to use the gamma?

No, it's right. I was responding to PeroK who appeared to be implying that you didn't need to include ##\gamma## in the equation; you do.

Likes Jonsson
PeterDonis said:

Not quite; it's the first component of its 4-momentum. That's where the factor of ##m## in the correct answer ##\gamma m## comes from. If it were the first component of the object's 4-velocity, that would just be ##\gamma##, with no factor of ##m##.

Yes, of course, four-momentum rather than just the four-velocity.

The point I was making is that:

##-\mathbf{p}.\mathbf{u_{obs}}##

In invariant in any coordinate system, including in the LIRF, where we know that it equals the particle's observed energy. It's irrelevant to the argument that ##E= \gamma m## in this reference frame.

In other words, you could write more simply:

$$
-(1,\vec{0})\cdot(E, \vec{p}) = E
$$

PeroK said:
you could write more simply:
$$
- g_{\mu \nu} u^\mu p^\nu = - \eta_{\mu \nu} u'^\mu p'^{\nu} = - (1, \vec{0}) \cdot (E, \vec{p}) = E
$$

Ah, I see. Yes, this is correct.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how mass and energy interact with space and time to create the force of gravity.

2. How is energy measured in general relativity?

In general relativity, energy is measured by an observer through changes in the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass or energy. This is known as the Einstein field equations.

3. What is the proof of energy in general relativity?

The proof of energy in general relativity is based on the principle of equivalence, which states that gravity is equivalent to acceleration. This means that an observer in a gravitational field cannot distinguish between the effects of gravity and the effects of acceleration. Therefore, energy can be measured by observing the effects of gravity on spacetime.

4. How does general relativity explain the bending of light?

General relativity explains the bending of light as a result of the curvature of spacetime. According to the theory, massive objects such as stars and galaxies create a curvature in spacetime, which causes light to follow a curved path as it passes by. This is known as gravitational lensing.

5. Can general relativity be tested and proven?

Yes, general relativity has been tested and proven through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the observation of the bending of starlight during a total solar eclipse, which confirmed Einstein's prediction of the curvature of spacetime. Additionally, numerous other experiments and observations have provided evidence for the validity of general relativity.