General solution for differential equation

In summary, the problem is to find the general solution for the differential equation y'' + cy' + 6y = 0, where c is a constant. The first step is to solve for r using the quadratic equation formula and then find the roots to the characteristic equation. The general solution cannot be simplified by setting c to 1 and rescaling y and x is a more complicated solution.
bhsmith

Homework Statement

y'' + cy' + 6y = 0 (where c is a constant)

I need to find y(t) which i believe is the equation for a general solution.

Homework Equations

It would be r^2 + cr + 6y = 0 then I need to find the roots and create the general solution. My problem is I don't know what to do about the c, can i take the c to be =1 or do I just create a solution with a general c, and if so how would I do that?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd need to solve for r using the quadratic equation formula and depending on whether the part in the sqrt sign is = 0, > 0 or < 0, would define the general solution.

You can't arbitrarily set c to 1. You need to solve the general case. Start by finding the roots to the characteristic equation.

If you really want to get rid of c, then you might think about rescaling y and x but that is the complicated solution.

What is a general solution for a differential equation?

A general solution for a differential equation is an equation that satisfies the differential equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It contains an arbitrary constant which accounts for all possible solutions to the equation.

How is a general solution different from a particular solution?

A particular solution is a specific solution to a differential equation that satisfies given initial or boundary conditions. It is obtained by substituting specific values for the arbitrary constant in the general solution. A general solution, on the other hand, contains the arbitrary constant and represents all possible solutions to the differential equation.

What is the process for finding a general solution to a differential equation?

The process for finding a general solution to a differential equation involves solving the equation using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The resulting solution will contain an arbitrary constant, which can be determined by applying any given initial or boundary conditions.

Can a general solution be used to find the solution to any specific differential equation?

Yes, a general solution can be used to find the solution to any specific differential equation. By substituting specific values for the arbitrary constant, a particular solution can be obtained, which satisfies the given initial or boundary conditions.

Are there any limitations to using a general solution for a differential equation?

Yes, there are limitations to using a general solution for a differential equation. Some equations may not have a general solution, and some may have multiple solutions that cannot be represented by a single general solution. In addition, the general solution may not always provide a physically meaningful solution in certain situations.