Generalized uncertainty principle

In summary, the problem is asking to show that the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y>## is consistent with the uncertainty principle, which states that ##ΔS_x ΔS_y ≥ \frac{h^2}{16π^2}##. This can be demonstrated by evaluating ##(\langle S_x^2\rangle-\langle S_x\rangle^2)^{1/2}## for a state of definite z-component of spin.
DeltaFunction

Homework Statement

A spin-half particle is in a known eigenstate of Sz. Show that the product [tex] <S^2_x> < S^2_y> [/tex] is consistent with the Uncertainty principle

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the generalized uncertainty principle gives [tex] ΔS_x ΔS_y ≥ |<[S_x, S_y]>|

=> ΔS_x ΔS_y ≥ \frac{h^2}{16π^2} [/tex]
but I'm stuck as to how to proceed to show the product in question is consistent with this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, DeltaFunction.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking how to evaluate the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ##, or are you asking how the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ## is related to ##ΔS_x ΔS_y##?

TSny said:
Hello, DeltaFunction.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking how to evaluate the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ##, or are you asking how the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ## is related to ##ΔS_x ΔS_y##?

I'm a bit vague on this too. The problem simply states "Show that the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ## is consistent with the uncertainty principle"

I assumed I'd need to link that to ##ΔS_x ΔS_y## to demonstrate this, but I'm stumped by this

DeltaFunction said:
I'm a bit vague on this too. The problem simply states "Show that the product ##<S^2_x> < S^2_y> ## is consistent with the uncertainty principle"

I assumed I'd need to link that to ##ΔS_x ΔS_y## to demonstrate this, but I'm stumped by this

How is ##ΔS_x## defined in terms of ##<S^2_x>## and ##<S_x>^2##?

TSny said:
How is ##ΔS_x## defined in terms of ##<S^2_x>## and ##<S_x>^2##?

I don't know I'm afraid :/

You need to know what quantitative definition of "uncertainty" you are using. Generally, the uncertainty of an observable ##A## for a particular state is defined to be the standard deviation $$\Delta A=(\langle A^2\rangle-\langle A\rangle^2)^{1/2}$$
So to determine the uncertainty ##\Delta S_x## for a state of definite z-component of spin, you will need to evaluate ##(\langle S_x^2\rangle-\langle S_x\rangle^2)^{1/2}## for that state.

Last edited:

Related to Generalized uncertainty principle

1. What is the Generalized Uncertainty Principle?

The Generalized Uncertainty Principle (GUP) is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the inherent uncertainty and limitations in measuring certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, or energy and time.

2. How is the Generalized Uncertainty Principle different from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that the product of the uncertainties in measuring position and momentum of a particle cannot be smaller than a certain value. The Generalized Uncertainty Principle expands this concept to include other pairs of physical quantities, such as energy and time. It also introduces a minimum measurable length scale, which was not present in the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

3. What is the significance of the Generalized Uncertainty Principle in physics?

The Generalized Uncertainty Principle has significant implications in various fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and black hole physics. It plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental structure of the universe and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Is there experimental evidence for the Generalized Uncertainty Principle?

While the Generalized Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics, it has not yet been directly observed or confirmed through experimental evidence. However, there are ongoing experiments and observations in various fields that are testing the validity of this principle.

5. How does the Generalized Uncertainty Principle relate to the concept of a "fuzzy" or probabilistic universe?

The Generalized Uncertainty Principle suggests that there is a fundamental limit to our ability to precisely measure certain physical quantities. This introduces a level of uncertainty or fuzziness in our understanding of the universe. This concept is further supported by the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the behavior and properties of particles cannot be predicted with 100% certainty.