Generating a pulse of high frequency and very small duty cycle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
akipro
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hey,
I wanted to generate a pulse of ON time of about 10-50 ns and time period of around 1us. Don't know how to get such precision ?

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Commercial frequency generators can do this. If that is too expensive (or too large, or whatever): Where is the problem with the short duty cycle?
 
@mfb

I wanted to make it for one of my second year project with basic( generally also cheap) components available in lab.
It could be heplful if you could suggest any method of achieving it.
 
There are many circuits which can give pulses of variable length. I am sure textbooks, google and other methods to search for them will give results.
 
akipro said:
Hey,
I wanted to generate a pulse of ON time of about 10-50 ns and time period of around 1us. Don't know how to get such precision ?

Thanks

akipro said:
@mfb

I wanted to make it for one of my second year project with basic( generally also cheap) components available in lab.
It could be heplful if you could suggest any method of achieving it.

Welcome to the PF.

When you say ON time of 10-50ns, does that mean it has to be variable, or you just want a steady pulse with a value somewhere in that range?

If a steady pulse width in that range works, you can just use a simple crystal oscillator and divider circuit plus a little glue logic. Since this is your school project, can you take those hints and describe how it can be done?