Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating a pulse of high frequency and very small duty cycle

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    Hey,
    I wanted to generate a pulse of ON time of about 10-50 ns and time period of around 1us. Don't know how to get such precision ???

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Commercial frequency generators can do this. If that is too expensive (or too large, or whatever): Where is the problem with the short duty cycle?

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    @mfb

I wanted to make it for one of my second year project with basic( generally also cheap) components available in lab.
    It could be heplful if you could suggest any method of achieving it.

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

There are many circuits which can give pulses of variable length. I am sure textbooks, google and other methods to search for them will give results.

6. Mar 14, 2013 #5

berkeman

Welcome to the PF.

When you say ON time of 10-50ns, does that mean it has to be variable, or you just want a steady pulse with a value somewhere in that range?

If a steady pulse width in that range works, you can just use a simple crystal oscillator and divider circuit plus a little glue logic. Since this is your school project, can you take those hints and describe how it can be done?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook