Generator Q: Hand Generator to Electric Motor Efficiency

• Thread starter Grabowski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, turning a generator by hand will result in more or less efficiency depending on the input and output systems.
Grabowski
If you are turning a generator by hand that is directly wired to a electrical motor will it transfer the electrical energy produced by the generator to a electric motor more or less efficiently then with a pure mechanical system? assuming that the input energy is located away from the output such as a gear system on mechanical or circuitry/wires on electrical. So would there be more energy lose through the mechanical gears/belts or circuitry.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds like homework.

What are your thoughts?

Vertical axis wind turbine boat... I've seen mechanical versions no electrical

""" more or less efficiently ..."

what's losses in a mechanical system? I'm no mechanical so don't know.

rotating electric machinery has losses too
friction, internal drag from windage, and electrical losses in copper and iron.

this link has a table of motor efficiencies http://www.nema.org/gov/energy/efficiency/premium/
click this line
NEMA Premium Energy Efficient Product Specification and Definition
and it'll open this pdf document

javascript:HandleLink('cpe_6667_0','CPNEWWIN:child^toolbar=1,location=1,directories=0,status=1,menubar=1,scrollbars=1,resizable=1@/stds/complimentary-docs/upload/MG1premium.pdf');

as you see they run ~80% to 95% .

square that number because you have similar sized motor and generator...

then get an estimate from a mechanical type.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a complicated or large drivetrain involved, it may well be more efficient to convert to electrical and back to mechanical, but it depends on the specifics of the systems.

Chain drive is pretty good.

I don't think my question is understood... But thanks for your time everyone...
I think the only way is to get two of the same motors, hook them up and give it a go...

Grabowski said:
I think the only way is to get two of the same motors, hook them up and give it a go...

Please tell me you're not trying to get them to power each other...

Why not? any electric motor can be used as a generator can it not?

And both motor and generator are not 100% efficient. Power out of one will be less than the power put in. Total loss, the system will gradually (or rapidly) grind to a halt.

Grabowski said:
Why not? any electric motor can be used as a generator can it not?

Because it sounds like you're trying to make a perpetual motion device, hoping that each motor will generate power for consumption by the other.

No offense to you, Grab, you are likely not aware of the uncountable number of people that have gone down this road ahead of you. This should be a mandatory lesson in grade school science. The number of person-hours wasted on people coming up with this exact idea and trying to bring it to life could be much better spent making some more meaningful contribution to society.

1. How is the efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor determined?

The efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor can be determined by comparing the amount of electrical energy produced by the motor to the amount of mechanical energy inputted by the hand generator.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor?

The efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor can be affected by factors such as the design and materials of the hand generator and motor, the speed and force applied by the hand, and any resistance or friction in the system.

3. What is the typical efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor?

The efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor can vary, but generally it is around 60-80%. This means that 60-80% of the mechanical energy inputted by the hand is converted into electrical energy.

4. Can the efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor can be improved by using more efficient materials and designs, reducing resistance and friction in the system, and increasing the speed and force applied by the hand.

5. How is the efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor important?

The efficiency of a hand generator to electric motor is important because it determines how much electrical energy can be produced from the mechanical energy inputted by the hand. A higher efficiency means more energy can be generated, making the system more practical and useful.