Unlocking Your DNA: Understanding Genetic Testing and What It Reveals About You

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of knowing one's DNA makeup and the limitations of current knowledge in genetics for determining factors such as race, intelligence, disease, inherited traits, sexuality, life expectancy, and habitual behavior. While there are some limited genetic tests available for markers of certain diseases, the conversation notes that these do not guarantee the development of the diseases and suggests that observation and self-evaluation may be more effective in determining traits and behaviors. Additionally, it mentions examples of using genetic testing to trace heritage and a biological father.
Line
I want to know about knowing my DNA makeup. How can I get a skematic of my DNA and tell oll about me.

Stuff like
my racial makeup
intelligence
disease
inherted things
sexuality
life expectancy
traits
habitual behavior
strongpoints
weaknesess.

Biology news on Phys.org
We have nowhere near the knowledge of genetics for anyone to provide the information you're asking for. Why do you need genetics to determine some of those anyway? Can't you evaluate habitual behaviors, strongpoints, weaknesses, sexuality, etc., based on simple observation of your actions and thoughts?

About the best you could get would be testing for some limited markers of genetic diseases or susceptibility to some diseases, like certain cancers. These don't mean you will get those diseases, just that people with certain genes are at higher risk for them.

Well I've seen people who've been able to trace all of their heritage via gentic tests.

As Moonbear said, we are nowhere near testing the things you mentioned.
You can trace heritage by matching chromosomal markers to that in a database and look whose chromosomes match up the most: that must be an ancestor.
As I read in the paper yesterday there was a guy who traced his biological father (who was an anonymous sperm donor) by doing Y-chromosome heritage analysis over the internet. A very lucky shot.

1. What is genetic testing and how does it work?

Genetic testing is a process that involves analyzing a person's DNA to identify any changes or variations in their genetic code. This is usually done by taking a sample of cells from the body, such as blood or saliva, and examining the DNA for specific genetic markers. These markers can reveal information about a person's health, ancestry, and potential genetic risks.

2. How accurate is genetic testing?

The accuracy of genetic testing can vary depending on the type of test being performed. In general, most tests have a high level of accuracy, with some tests being more accurate than others. For example, diagnostic genetic tests used to diagnose a specific genetic disorder tend to have a higher accuracy rate compared to direct-to-consumer genetic tests used for ancestry purposes. It's important to consult with a genetic counselor or medical professional to understand the accuracy of a specific genetic test.

3. What can genetic testing reveal about my health?

Genetic testing can provide information about potential health risks and inherited genetic disorders. It can also reveal if a person is a carrier for certain genetic conditions, which may not affect them but could be passed on to their children. However, it's important to note that genetic testing is not a guarantee of developing a specific disease or condition. Other factors, such as lifestyle and environmental factors, also play a role in a person's health.

4. Can genetic testing predict my future health?

Genetic testing can provide information about potential health risks, but it cannot predict a person's future health with certainty. The results of genetic testing are based on probabilities and can only indicate a person's predisposition to a certain disease or condition. It's important to use genetic testing results in conjunction with other health information and to consult with a medical professional for a comprehensive understanding of your health.

5. Is genetic testing confidential?

Yes, genetic testing is confidential and protected by laws, such as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), which prohibits discrimination based on genetic information in health insurance and employment. However, there are some exceptions, such as if a person chooses to share their genetic information with family members or if they participate in research studies. It's important to understand the privacy policies of the company or institution conducting the genetic testing before proceeding.