Geometric reps of complex formula

In summary, the problem involves describing the geometric shapes of sets of points determined by various relations. The sets are determined by the equations |z-i|+|z-1| = 2, |z-i|=|z+1|, and Re z = |z-2|. The answers are an ellipse with foci at i and 1, a perpendicular bisector of the line segment connecting z=i and z = -1, and a parabola with focus at z=2 and directrix as the imaginary axis. The author suggests using the direct method of putting z=x+iy and looking at the x,y equations, or looking up the geometric definitions of an ellipse and a parabola.
wildman

Homework Statement

Describe geometrically the sets of points determined by the relations:

a) |z-i|+|z-1| = 2
b) |z-i|=|z+1|
c) Re z = |z-2|

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer of a is suppose to be Ellipse with foci at i and 1, major axis 2
and b is Perpendicular bisector of the line segment connecting z=i and z = -1
and c is Parabola focus at z=2, directrix the imaginary axis (from the back of the book), but could one of you help me to see how the author got those answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most direct way to handle all of them is to put z=x+iy and look at the x,y equations. You could also look up the geometric definition of an ellipse and a parabola to do those more directly.

Yep. The direct method worked. Thanks.

FAQ: Geometric reps of complex formula

1. What are geometric representations of complex formulas?

Geometric representations of complex formulas are visual models that illustrate the relationships between different elements of a complex formula. They use geometric shapes and patterns to show how different parts of the formula are connected and interact with each other.

2. How are geometric representations useful in understanding complex formulas?

Geometric representations provide a visual aid that can help individuals better understand the structure and logic of complex formulas. They can also help identify patterns and relationships that may not be apparent when looking at the formula in its traditional symbolic form.

3. Are there different types of geometric representations for complex formulas?

Yes, there are various types of geometric representations that can be used for complex formulas. Some common examples include Venn diagrams, tree diagrams, and flowcharts. The type of representation used will depend on the specific formula and the information that needs to be conveyed.

4. Can geometric representations be used for any type of complex formula?

Geometric representations can be used for a wide range of complex formulas, including mathematical equations, chemical reactions, and computer algorithms. However, the level of complexity and the type of information being conveyed may determine the effectiveness of using a geometric representation.

5. How can I create my own geometric representation of a complex formula?

To create a geometric representation of a complex formula, you can start by identifying the key elements and relationships within the formula. Then, choose a suitable geometric model or diagram that can accurately represent these elements. Finally, use labels, colors, and other visual aids to clearly illustrate the connections and interactions between the different parts of the formula.

Back