How Does Geometry Clarify the Concept of Gauge Fields in Physics?

In summary: The easiest way to think about it is to imagine that I am sewing a piece of fabric together. If I want to do a transformation in one direction, I need to use a different thread than I used to sew the fabric together. If I want to do a transformation in the other direction, I need to take the same thread and use it in a different way. Similarly, if I want to do a transformation in between, I need to use a thread that has some properties in both directions.
jdstokes
Recently I've been trying to understand the geometric formulation of gauge field theory.

The mantra I've been hearing is that a gauge field is a connection for a principal bundle where the structure group corresponds to the gauge group. Fields which are charged under the gauge group form sections of associated vector bundles.

John Baez's book has a slight different take, however, in which he essentially defines the gauge field as the connection for a G-bundle, which is vector bundle obtained by gluing together trivial bundles subject to G-identifications on the overlaps, what need then for the principal bundle?

I'm also grappling with the idea that a choice of gauge corresponds to a local trivialization. The idea seems to be that sufficiently small regions of the bundle are diffeomorphic to the product [itex]U \times F[/itex] where F is the typical fiber. I don't quite see how the different gauge possibilities arise out of this, however.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding you last remark "I don't quite see how the different gauge possibilities arise out of this". I think one can't see that. One has to chose a global gauge function and check if it induces the correct local gauge sections. The other way round, namely to start with a local condition and try to "globalize" it may work if you have a trivial bundle,but in general it will not work.

Regarding Baez's book: I am not familiar with these ideas.

Well, in my opinion it would make more sense to define a gauge choice on some spacetime patch as a section of a local trivialization of the principal fiber bundle.

Is this the correct way of thinking about it?

garrett said:
This might help:

http://deferentialgeometry.org/#[[fiber bundle]]

Or it might just hurt -- but then the references at the bottom might help.

I think I can see where this is going.

It makes sense to me that changing the local trivialization corresponds to a gauge transformation since it is assumed from the outset that the fibers are sewn together using smooth (group-valued) transition maps.

If I want to do a gauge tranformation on some specified patch, then I need to figure out another way of assigning a local trivialization to that patch. But since I am working with a vector bundle with structure group G, the only way I know how to do this is to do a continuous G-tranformation of the fibers.

Suppose that I want to do a gauge transformation on

Related to How Does Geometry Clarify the Concept of Gauge Fields in Physics?

1. What is the importance of gauge fields in geometry?

Gauge fields play a crucial role in geometry by describing the local symmetries of a physical system. They allow us to understand the geometric properties of a system and how they are affected by transformations. Gauge fields are also essential in describing the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

2. How are gauge fields related to differential geometry?

Gauge fields are closely related to the mathematical field of differential geometry. In fact, gauge fields can be understood as connections on fiber bundles, which are objects commonly studied in differential geometry. This connection allows us to use the tools and techniques of differential geometry to analyze and understand gauge fields.

3. What is the difference between local and global gauge transformations?

Local gauge transformations involve changing the gauge field at each point in space, while keeping the overall structure of the field the same. Global gauge transformations, on the other hand, involve changing the entire gauge field in a uniform way. Local gauge transformations are important in describing the local symmetries of a system, while global gauge transformations are useful for understanding the global properties of a system.

4. What is the significance of curvature in gauge fields?

Curvature is a fundamental concept in gauge field theory and is related to the local symmetry of a system. In gauge field theory, gauge fields are described as connections on fiber bundles, and the curvature of these connections corresponds to the strength of the interaction between particles. The presence of curvature in gauge fields is what gives rise to the fundamental forces of nature.

5. How are gauge fields used in particle physics?

Gauge fields are essential in the field of particle physics, as they describe the interactions between particles. The Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions, is based on gauge field theory. In particle physics experiments, the behavior of particles is often studied by analyzing the behavior of gauge fields, such as the electromagnetic field.