George Bush is TIME's Person of the Year

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, Time has put President Bush on the cover of their annual issue, in an effort to show his importance in society. Some people are upset because they feel he doesn't deserve the award, while others are happy because he is a symbol of the United States.
Smurf
http://www.time.com/time/personoftheyear/2004/story.html

He won it in 2000, now he's gotten it again. I think it's worth pointing out that every single american president since roosevelt has won this at least once, sometimes simply for being elected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Meh, so was Hitler.

(unconstructive remark deleted)

Last edited:
:confused:

The only logical explanation is that 'person' has an entirely different meaning in the US.

And what, pray tell, can that meaning possibly be?

check said:
Meh, so was Hitler.
Don't forget Stalin.

Isn't this just dandy : http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,1101390102,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Polly said:
And what, pray tell, can that meaning possibly be?

I'm too polite to hazard a guess.

Time's person of the year, or POTY, is a statement of social and political significance, and not one of goodness or evil.
But in either case I must agree: Bush is POTY.

Oh come on. How could Kobe Bryant possibly not win this?

I'm surprised that Bin Laden didn't get the award in 2001. Surely the most influential person that year.

They wanted to give it to him but there was an incredible amount of outrage at the suggestion. At least that's how I remember it.

I'm still pissed about 'The American Soldier' getting it in 2003. It's so ridiculous I want to puke.

My Mother keeps bringing me her copies of Time. I keep them lying about for at least another visit, by her, and then recycle them. Time's decision to put President Bush up as their person of the year, means I won't ever read Time again. Person, he is the kind of guy that doesn't even believe in the use of the word person, unless it is in the phrase, person of interest. If he is ever tried for war crimes, and I see him on the cover of Time. I'll read that issue.

Do Time run a War Criminal of the Year issue? Seems silly if they don't, these days.

1. Who is George Bush and why was he chosen as TIME's Person of the Year?

George Bush is a former president of the United States who served from 2001 to 2009. He was chosen as TIME's Person of the Year in 2000 and 2004 for his leadership and impact on global events during his presidency.

2. How is TIME's Person of the Year chosen?

The editors of TIME magazine select the Person of the Year based on the individual or group who has had the most significant impact on the world, for better or for worse, during the past year.

3. Has George Bush been chosen as TIME's Person of the Year before?

Yes, George Bush was chosen as TIME's Person of the Year in 2000 and 2004.

4. What are some of the criteria used to select TIME's Person of the Year?

TIME's Person of the Year is selected based on their impact on the news, their influence on events of the past year, and their lasting impact on the world.

5. How does being chosen as TIME's Person of the Year affect a person's legacy?

Being chosen as TIME's Person of the Year is a prestigious honor and can have a significant impact on a person's legacy. It can solidify their place in history and bring attention to their accomplishments and impact on the world.