Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

George Bush is TIME's Person of the Year

1. Dec 20, 2004 #1

He won it in 2000, now he's gotten it again. I think it's worth pointing out that every single american president since roosevelt has won this at least once, sometimes simply for being elected.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2004 #2
    Meh, so was Hitler.
  4. Dec 20, 2004 #3
    (unconstructive remark deleted)
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  5. Dec 20, 2004 #4

The only logical explanation is that 'person' has an entirely different meaning in the US.
  6. Dec 20, 2004 #5
    And what, pray tell, can that meaning possibly be?
  7. Dec 20, 2004 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  8. Dec 20, 2004 #7
    I'm too polite to hazard a guess.
  9. Dec 20, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Time's person of the year, or POTY, is a statement of social and political significance, and not one of goodness or evil.
    But in either case I must agree: Bush is POTY.
  10. Dec 20, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Oh come on. How could Kobe Bryant possibly not win this?
  11. Dec 20, 2004 #10
    I'm surprised that Bin Laden didn't get the award in 2001. Surely the most influential person that year.
  12. Dec 20, 2004 #11
    They wanted to give it to him but there was an incredible amount of outrage at the suggestion. At least that's how I remember it.
  13. Dec 20, 2004 #12
    I'm still pissed about 'The American Soldier' getting it in 2003. It's so ridiculous I want to puke.
  14. Dec 20, 2004 #13
    My Mother keeps bringing me her copies of Time. I keep them lying about for at least another visit, by her, and then recycle them. Time's decision to put President Bush up as their person of the year, means I won't ever read Time again. Person, he is the kind of guy that doesn't even believe in the use of the word person, unless it is in the phrase, person of interest. If he is ever tried for war crimes, and I see him on the cover of Time. I'll read that issue.
  15. Dec 21, 2004 #14
    Do Time run a War Criminal of the Year issue? Seems silly if they don't, these days.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?