Designing a Partially Submerged Foundation: Insights and Solutions

• Thread starter Dhillon123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary: The soil type is clay and the depth is about 50 feet.The rock type is shale and the depth is about 100 feet.
Dhillon123
I am looking for some insight with a problem I have. I am trying to design a foundation that is partially under the current water table.

It is a hollow rectangle that is 30 m long, 11 m wide and 9 m high with a wall thickness of 0.5 m, it is attached to a triangular shape foundation that is 35 m long, 11 m wide and 9 m high with a wall thickness of 0.5 m. The structure sticks out 0.5 m above the current ground level.

I was able to calculate the volume of the concrete structure which is 890.27 m^3
Using the water table information we found that the volume of water displaced is 4076.325 m^3

From this I know I need to calculate the buoyancy force and try to get neutral buoyancy so it does not move. I am just wondering how to go about this. Should we increase the dimensions of the structure (thickness is the only thing that we can think or altering) or consider using anchors or bracing to equal out the forces.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess you want to avoid having a concrete boat type of situation.
Density of heavy concrete is around 2500 kg/cubic meter, and that of water 1000 kg/ cubic meter.

From what you have stated about the volumes, it looks like your boat would float!

Depending upon soil conditions, anchoring, and all that, a consultation with cival engineer may be the best route to pursue.
Someone other here at PF though may have experience and knowledge to help you out.

You must consider the buoyancy in the soil rather than in pure water. Soil has greater density so the hydrostatic pressure at depth is often sufficient to force water above the surface.

Maybe you could actively drain the area immediately outside the wall so as to reduce the soil movement and buoyancy effect.

Another solution might be to drive piles deep into the ground, they can then anchor the structure.

What is the soil type and depths?
What is the rock type and depth?

1. What is geotechnical design?

Geotechnical design is a branch of engineering that focuses on the analysis, design, and construction of structures, foundations, and earthworks involving geological materials. It involves understanding the properties and behavior of soil, rock, and groundwater in order to ensure the stability and safety of structures.

2. Why is geotechnical design important?

Geotechnical design is important because it ensures the safety and stability of structures built on or in the ground. Without proper design and analysis, structures may be at risk of failure due to factors such as soil settlement, slope instability, and foundation failure.

3. What are the key components of geotechnical design?

The key components of geotechnical design include site investigation, soil and rock testing, analysis of data, design of foundations and retaining structures, and construction monitoring. Each of these components is essential in ensuring the success of a project.

4. How does geotechnical design differ from structural design?

Geotechnical design focuses on the behavior and properties of soils and rocks, while structural design focuses on the behavior and properties of man-made materials such as steel and concrete. Geotechnical design is often the first step in the design process, as it provides the necessary information for structural design to take place.

5. When should I seek geotechnical design help?

You should seek geotechnical design help whenever you are planning a project that involves construction on or in the ground. This includes building foundations, retaining walls, tunnels, and other structures. Geotechnical design help can also be useful when facing challenges such as difficult soil conditions or complex site conditions.