Get vector position projected on line

In summary, the conversation discusses projecting a point from the minimum values of a rectangle onto a line below it, with the requirement of a general solution that would still work even if the shapes were rotated. The conversation also mentions using cross products and asks for insights on this approach. The orange dots represent the maximum and minimum values of the rectangle, and the discussion does not involve differential geometry.
twoski
Let's say i have a set of lines (denoted in the image as connected at the blue dots) and a rectangle with maxs and mins known (denoted with orange dots).

I want to project from the mins of my rectangle such that i get a point on the line below it (the green dot). Furthermore, this needs to be a general solution (ie if the shapes were all rotated 45 degrees i'd still get the same results).

There must be some trick with cross products or something that I'm not seeing here, any insights?

Here is the picture to help make it clear.

ShmKXMo.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the "maxs and mins" of a rectangle? How do the two orange dots define these? How would this work if "the shapes were all rotated 45 degrees"?

This is nothing to do with differential geometry.

Related to Get vector position projected on line

1. What is a vector position projected on a line?

A vector position projected on a line is a mathematical calculation that determines the point on a line that is closest to a given vector. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects along a specific path.

2. How is a vector position projected on a line calculated?

The calculation involves finding the dot product of the vector and the line's direction vector. This dot product is then divided by the magnitude of the line's direction vector to determine the distance along the line from the origin to the projected point.

3. What is the purpose of projecting a vector position onto a line?

The projection of a vector position onto a line allows us to determine the component of the vector that is parallel to the line. This can be useful in analyzing motion along a specific path or in finding the closest point on a line to a given vector.

4. Can a vector position be projected onto any type of line?

Yes, a vector position can be projected onto any type of line, including straight lines, curved lines, and even infinite lines. The method for calculating the projection may vary slightly depending on the type of line, but the concept remains the same.

5. How is the projection of a vector position useful in real-world applications?

The projection of a vector position is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in analyzing the motion of objects. It can also be used in computer graphics to determine the position of objects in 3D space and in data analysis to find the closest point to a given data point on a line.