Finding Your Path to the Aerospace Engineering Industry

In summary: This sounds like a great advice. Getting a pilots license doesn't have to be expensive and it can definitely help boost your credibility. Flying a transport from SFO to DEN through (simulated) thunderstorms on full motion base became as real as an actual flight, including shaky legs as one leaves the cockpit after touchdown. I'll definitely keep that in mind. That's definitely something I want to experience.
AJSayad
Summary:: What is the best way to get into the Aerospace Engineering Industry?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the physics forums. My name is Andrew, I'm going to be in my undergrad Senior year in mechanical engineering this coming fall. I've recently been looking into PhD programs and I've been having trouble deciding what field I want to specialize in.

My main career goals (like many others) is to work in an R&D position in the Aerospace field and then eventually do research and teach for a university. I have an interest in both fluid mechanics and robotics/dynamical systems but I'm not really sure which one would be the best route to take to get into the industry. I know fluid mechanics is very important for aerospace and there is some research being done in the field but I also know that Robotics is a very large field and is continuing to grow everyday which makes me have a hard time determining which one would be best.

Any advice/input is immensely appreciated. Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no answer to this. The aerospace industry needs people with expertise all across the spectrum. You could study accountancy and work in the aerospace industry.

Study what interests you most, knock it out of the park, and find an aerospace job requiring that skill set.

Likes Klystron, FactChecker and AJSayad
Thank you for the response, that seems to be the best route and what I've heard from a few of my professors. I appreciate the confidence and reassurance.

A good question is which specializations will be the greatest growth areas in the aerospace industry. For that, I would pick robotics and machine learning. I think that will be in great demand and other industries like automobile will compete for the few people.

Likes AJSayad
FactChecker said:
A good question is which specializations will be the greatest growth areas in the aerospace industry. For that, I would pick robotics and machine learning. I think that will be in great demand and other industries like automobile will compete for the few people.

AI/ML will basically be a growth area in every industry in the near future, but their applications are so wide that it's not really all that helpful to just do that. Both are also finding increasing use in the two subfields mentioned above: fluid dynamics and robotics.

Likes AJSayad
boneh3ad said:
AI/ML will basically be a growth area in every industry in the near future, but their applications are so wide that it's not really all that helpful to just do that. Both are also finding increasing use in the two subfields mentioned above: fluid dynamics and robotics.
Good point. It would be best if there is are courses within the aero department. Flight controls and avionics in general would probably have aspects of it.

Likes AJSayad
Thank you for the input, I've been looking into flight controls as well, the programs that I've been looking at seem to include flight controls in their robotics/dynamical controls program.

AJSayad said:
Thank you for the input, I've been looking into flight controls as well, the programs that I've been looking at seem to include flight controls in their robotics/dynamical controls program.
That sounds good. A thing we are fond of saying here at PF is "Before thinking out of the box, you first need to learn what is in the box." As a researcher in avionics or controls, you won't have credibility if you don't know how the existing stuff works. So study of existing systems, and the history of the evolution of flight controls is not a waste of time, it is necessary.

Also, if that's your goal, you should also get a private pilot's license. Some schools allow you to get credit for that. Being a pilot yourself redoubles your credibility as a researcher.

Likes AJSayad
That's a great saying and should probably be more common among undergraduate professors speaking to their students. I'll look into a pilots license, it's definitely something on the bucket list but if I can get credit for it that's even better. Thanks for the advice!

During my career I worked at military installations and aerospace R&D locations. Most sites included flying clubs often affiliated with universities for experienced and new pilots with emphasis on safety and applied aerodynamics. Some of my radar students obtained private pilot training after hours in order to 'look at flight from both sides'.

While I never flew actual aircraft due to physical limitations, I became a decent full-scale flight simulator pilot. Flying a transport from SFO to DEN through (simulated) thunderstorms on full motion base became as real as an actual flight, including shaky legs as one leaves the cockpit after touchdown. Even without access to full-scale flight simulator hardware, one can learn and practice flying basics using commercial flight simulator software packages.

Likes AJSayad, anorlunda and FactChecker

1. What is aerospace engineering and what do aerospace engineers do?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. Aerospace engineers use their knowledge of physics, aerodynamics, materials science, and other engineering principles to design and improve various types of aerospace vehicles. They also work on testing, maintenance, and safety procedures for these vehicles.

2. What education and skills are required to become an aerospace engineer?

Most aerospace engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering or a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. In addition to a strong foundation in math and science, aerospace engineers must also have strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. They should also be familiar with computer-aided design (CAD) software and have a strong understanding of aerodynamics and flight mechanics.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available in the aerospace engineering industry?

The aerospace engineering industry offers a wide range of job opportunities, including positions in research and development, design and testing, manufacturing, and maintenance. Aerospace engineers can work for aerospace companies, government agencies, or research institutions. They may also work on specific projects, such as designing a new aircraft or developing new propulsion systems.

4. What are some challenges faced by aerospace engineers?

Aerospace engineers face a variety of challenges in their work. One major challenge is keeping up with rapidly advancing technology and constantly evolving regulations and safety standards. They must also consider various factors, such as cost, weight, and environmental impact, when designing and developing aerospace vehicles. Additionally, the complex nature of aerospace engineering projects often requires strong teamwork and communication skills to ensure success.

5. How can someone interested in aerospace engineering get started in the industry?

To get started in the aerospace engineering industry, it is important to have a strong educational background in math and science, as well as a passion for aerospace technology. Participating in internships or co-op programs can also provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities. It is also helpful to stay updated on industry developments and advancements, and to continuously develop and improve technical skills through ongoing education and training.